Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sylv4k Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2013, 12:39 AM
    Difference between salary and full time
    I'm employed on a full time basis my employer wants to put me on a salary with no changes. What is the difference between full time employee and salary?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 19, 2013, 12:50 AM
    As for pay, my understand is that full time allows the employee to be paid for overtime. A salaried person is not paid for overtime.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2013, 08:35 AM
    To add to Wondergirl's response a full time worker will get paid on an hourly rate, while a salaried employee will get paid the same amount per pay period whether he or she works the same amount.

For an example a full time employee works 35 hours one week will receive an hourly rate times 35 hours, and if the employee works 50 hours the employee will be paid for 40 hours at the hourly rate and 10 hours at 1.5 times the hourly rate. So by this example the full time emplyee will receive a different amount of pay based on the number of hours worked.

A salaried employee will receive the same amount of pay whether the employee worked 30 or 50 hours.

So to answer your question it will come down to the average amount of hours you work per week at your hourly rate and the amount of the salary per week with the number of hours you will be expected to work per week. It could also come down to other advantages or disadvantages of being a salaried employee over a full time employee.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2013, 10:01 AM
    A full time employee will be scheduled to work a normal work week each week. What is normal will vary by company but is generally between 35 and 40 hours a week.

Full timers can be either hourly or salaried.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 12, 2013, 03:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tassha View Post
    A full time employee costs more than stated annual pay and it also include hard costs as Social Security, medicare contributions, employee benefits such as health care or 401K plans, training costs and time, vacation time, paid holidays and sick time holidays.
    I'm sorry, but you are wrong on both counts.
    There is no relationship between costs and type.
    Both types include the usual payroll deductions of any wage earner.
    Perhaps you are confusing salaried wage earner with contract work.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2013, 04:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tassha View Post
    A full time employee costs more than stated annual pay and it also include hard costs as Social Security, medicare contributions, employee benefits such as health care or 401K plans, training costs and time, vacation time, paid holidays and sick time holidays.
    Thank you for trying to help our members. However, we try to maintain a high standard of accuracy in the answers posted here. While it is true that many part time workers do not get benefits, F/T vs P/T has no bearing on SS or Medicare taxation.

Also that wasn't the question. The OP is a F/T employee, but apparently paid hourly and the employer wants to switch to salaried. The only cost saved by the employer there is O/T.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you negotiate salary when transitioning from contract to full time? [ 3 Answers ]

I work in the web development field. Since the beginning of February I've been working with a company as a contractor. This company puts all incoming developers on a contract basis for the first month to three months. They use this as a trial period to make sure everything is a good fit. A few...

What contitues full time to get full time benefits? [ 1 Answers ]

My son works on average over 40 hours a week.He works in a hospital in NJ. He does receive overetime when he works over 40 Hours. However he is considered a part time employee and they will not give him a full time listed position even though most of the time he works 40 hours or more. There fore...

What is the difference between Wage and Salary? [ 3 Answers ]

My professor asked me why is that the salary is calculated monthly or annually.. :confused: Please answer my question...

Full time student with Full time housewife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help. I am going to professional school. My wife and I have three children and are living completely off student loans. We had no income in 2006 that had a W2 attached to it. That is, the only income we made was off eBay and odd end jobs throughout the year. Do I need...

What is the difference between salary and wages [ 1 Answers ]

If anyone could give me the answer to this question in a precise manner.the basic difference between salary and wage

View more questions Search