Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    micktheconfused Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2013, 07:07 PM
    What can I do in my situation ?
    OK, my very specific question. I am a single father of my 11 year old son. His mother and I divorced when my son was about 6 months. Because I was more capable of financially supporting my son I went only for the state min for child support of $100 (which she has never paid). Because the divorce was drug based (on her side) she was granted supervised visitation. Over the course of the past 11 years, she has only seen him once when he was 4 and a half. She has never paid child support, never sent gifts at xmas time or bdays, and no calls... ever. She has done absolutely nothing for this little boy.
    I am now remarried and my current wife wishes to adopt him.

Question #1. Do I have the legal ability to have her parental rights removed?

Question#2 If so, can you point me in the right direction to finding the needed documents to file with the court. And how should I file if not abandonment?

Question#3 Can she now... after about 7 years of no contact, change her mind and decide "ooh now I wanna be a mommy" and how will that impact the courts ruling?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 16, 2013, 07:46 PM
    What you can do is along with your wife (if married for over 1 years time) apply for a step parent adoption. If the adoption goes through then she will be stripped of her legal rights to her son. If she rises up and challenges the adoption it is hard to say what the courts may rule. But in your favor is the fact that she isn't supporting the child on an emotional nor financial manner.

Also child support lasts forever. It doesn't go away and can not be forgiven by a court. Only the person that is owed the debt can relieve it. Please use a lawyer in your area to take you through this process. There are too many pitfalls that can trap you if you don't do everything correctly. You don't want this overturned years down the road.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should I do with this situation? [ 4 Answers ]

Me and this guy have hung out like three times with another girl and guy who are going out. The last time we hung out we hooked up. We exchanged numbers and he asked what I was doing the next day. Then he calls and tells me the condom ripped. He's 16 and I'm 15 and he has an older sister so she...

I'm in a situation! [ 5 Answers ]

If I paid child support to my Son's mother for almost 6 years and he is turning 18 and now lives with me, his daughter & daughters mother can I stop paying child support and ask for child support from her?

What would you do in this situation. [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the deal, my mothers boyfriend went to jail a few days ago, for a reason still unknown at this time. And since he is in jail that leaves me and her other son, from her boyfriend. Anyway she is trying to put all the fawkn responsibility on me, I just got fired a month or a half ago from...

Situation... [ 5 Answers ]

I have a situation. About 2 weeks ago I was on my last row of birth control pills which are the inactive pills. On my first day which is when I'm supposed to get my period I did not get it and instead I just got a brown discharge that lasted only for a few hours that day. Maybe 2 or 3 days after...

View more questions Search