Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    R31211 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2013, 06:15 PM
    14 year old having sex with 17 year old, against the law in the USA? IL
    The guy that I'm still with is the first and hopefully the last guy that gets to meet my parents.
    We've been together for a long time, but I just found out from a lady who comes to see me in school that making love with someone who's 17 is a 'crime'. I at first thought she was kidding, but she wasn't.
    She told me that you don't have to be 18 to get in trouble with the police for having sex with an older person.
    I truly don't know what could happen. I'm 14 years old, but mature for my age.
    I know some people might judge me or tell me that I shouldn't be sleeping with my boyfriend, that's why I will like to inform you that I have been doing so well in school.
    My question is, can my boyfriend get in trouble still? He's not 18.

By the way, we believed that a guy could only get in trouble if having sexual contact when 18!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 16, 2013, 06:20 PM
    Your maturity level doesn't matter. Your physical age does. The legal age of consent in IL is 17, thus he is committing statutory rape and can be labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life.

Let me add that you might be mature, but neither one of you are equipped to be parents should you become pregnant.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2013, 06:30 PM
    The fact that you were not aware that underage sex is a crime, shows that you are, in no way as mature as you think you are. And your boyfriend also should know better that you are "jail bait".

What does doing well in school make a difference in engaging in underage sex? You are being foolish by risking your life and your future, as well as your boyfriend's by engaging in sex.

Jan 16, 2013, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Your maturity level doesn't matter. Your physical age does. The legal age of consent in IL is 17, thus he is committing statutory rape and can be labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life.

Let me add that you might be mature, but neither one of you are equipped to be parents should you become pregnant.
    I understand that you might think the maturity level doesn't matter because either way having sex with a 17 year old is considered 'statutory rape' and or can be labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life, but again, I didn't know this was actually true. Otherwise, I would have told him to stop and think twice about it before having sex with me. There's no reason for me to want to get him in trouble, he's such a nice, responsible guy! That's why now we're going to make better choices. Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2013, 06:39 PM
    First, I'm not sure how you can get to be 14 and not know that underage sex is illegal. But this is a 2 person issue. A nice responsible 17 yr old, would not have sex with a 14 yr old.

Hopefully you will start making better choices, because you have really acted pretty dumb to this point.

Jan 16, 2013, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The fact that you were not aware that underage sex is a crime, shows that you are, in no way as mature as you think you are. And your boyfriend also should know better that you are "jail bait".

What does doing well in school make a difference in engaging in underage sex? You are being foolish by risking your life and your future, as well as your boyfriend's by engaging in sex.

All right, so I might not be as mature as I thought I was, but have you noticed that some people who make mistakes and get told not to do them again (with reasons) repeat them? I'm not like that; I'll learn from them.
    I'm not being foolish nor risking our future, I know better. That's why we aren't going to do it anymore.
    Thanks!
    Expert

Jan 16, 2013, 06:42 PM
    You might want to research the dangers of pregnancy before the age of 21. Should you get pregnant before that age you will place your life and/or the life of the unborn baby at risk for permanent harm and/or death.

Jan 16, 2013, 06:49 PM
    You might want to research the dangers of pregnancy before the age of 21. Should you get pregnant before that age you will place your life and/or the life of the unborn baby at risk for permanent harm and/or death.
    I wouldn't want to have an abortion if I ended up pregnant. It'd be really difficult to earn money, to find a way to tell my parents as well as his, to find a place that would be confidential, and to focus in school, etc. Therefore, I will not have sex with my boyfriend.
    Expert

Jan 16, 2013, 06:56 PM
    You sound like a very smart girl. We all make mistakes, and this is a biggy!

I'm a maternity nurse, so I see how dangerous pregnancy is to girls your age.

Jan 16, 2013, 08:49 PM
    You sound like a very smart girl. We all make mistakes, and this is a biggy!

I'm a maternity nurse, so I see how dangerous pregnancy is to girls your age.

Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm 16 and I'm talking to a 23 year old, but we're not having sex--FL law? [ 6 Answers ]

Forr me beinq 16 almost 17 and talkinq to a 23 year old not havinq noo sexual contaact is thiss illeqal or leqal? I live in Florida...

Ohio law sex with a 17 year old [ 2 Answers ]

My soon to be x husband had an affair with a 17 year old girl. He was 39. She has a record of psychological problems before their relationship and after. I heard she tried to kill herself after their relationship ended. I am in Ohio and I know the age of consent is 16. Can he get in trouble...

Is there a law against a 12 year old boy having sex with my 12 year old daughter? [ 6 Answers ]

My 12 year old daughter was conspiring with her 12 year old boyfriend to have sex (intercourse). Fortunately we found out in time and are now restricting her freedom appropriately. However, the mother of the boy would like him to apologize to us (the parents) and she wants me to put the fear of God...

View more questions Search