Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mosmama Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 04:29 PM
    Statute of Limitations on Student Loan Judgments
    I had a judgment on a student loan. The judment was over ten years old. I thought the statute of limitations had run and therefore the judgment and the higher interest on the judgment were no longer valid. I have now been told judgments on student loans never expire. They do on other types of debt, but not student loans.

I know student loans are collectible forever, meaning the principal and contracted interest. Does anyone know if judgments on them expire with the statute of limitations?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 06:18 PM
    The laws and rules on gov guarnteed student loans are different from many other debts, ( they can not even be discharged though bankruptcy normally)

I can't find the actual law on it, but it was my understanding they don't expire.
    maryp8 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 12:55 PM
    I had a private, not federal loan in 1968, known as a Gulf loan for $600.00, now the University wants $1,887.98
    I can not get a job with the school district, because, they have my transcript, is not the statue of limitations
    In Texas expired in this loan?
    Mary A.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jul 28, 2010, 04:58 PM

Well,debt never expires morally,but why did you not address this issue sooner? Did you not years ago try to pay this?
    C'mon now (1968)! Did you not know there was a judgement against you? Sorry but I have a hard time understanding this one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations [ 3 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on DUI/DWI

Student loan statute of limitations [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering what the statute of limitations is for student loans in alberta? Can a creditor collect after that period? I also heard that after a certain time Period debts are wiped off your credit report. Is this true and if so how long till Your credit is cleared?

Statute of limitations [ 9 Answers ]

Long story short... I have autobody bills outstanding, I have been sent all the invoices for them with the dates. The earliest date being 2 years ago and last one 4 years ago, this is the first letter sent about this issue. They tell me they will take me to court. What is the statute of...

Statute of Limitations [ 6 Answers ]

Hi: I used to live in Canada. I left my husband as he was an alcoholic and he maxed out our joint credit cards. He passed away in July 1999. I haven't been in Canada since October 2000. I remarried and now live in the US. Is it safe to say that the Stature of Limitations has run out on...

Statute of limitations [ 3 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on a judgment in alberta, canada

View more questions Search