Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jodar7 Posts: 42, Reputation: 0

Jan 16, 2013, 09:16 AM
    Met a Guy Online, Should I Tell Him About My Social Anxiety Before We Meet?
    I’m 23 and never dated or had a boyfriend in my life. People have said I'm cute/really pretty so I know it isn't my looks, but I have suffered for years from social anxiety. My SA gets particularly worse around men (especially those I find attractive). I’ve been talking to a guy “Kyle” on OKCupid for about a week. I moved cities over the summer and he lives one city away from me at present, and used to live in the city I currently reside in. (Hope that makes sense) Anyway he seems pretty nice and we have stuff in common. I added him to Facebook a few days ago at his request, and we’ve been exchanging messages.

Yesterday he asked me if I could get out of work sometime and grab a coffee with him. I’m busy most of time as I own a small business but I do get the odd day off. My issue is that I’m afraid of meeting up with him and having my social anxiety get in the way. My SA always makes me awkward, shy and I tend to give off the body language of not being interested in a guy even though I am. Plus I can’t flirt for sh*t. I haven’t responded to his message yet, but I’m about to. Is it too soon to confess to him over Facebook that "I’m actually dealing with social anxiety, so if I act shy or a bit off when you meet me don't take it personally"?

I don’t know if we’re compatible as a “couple,” I may just find myself with a new friend (which would be awesome since I don’t have guy friends) But I don’t want to give him the wrong impression right off the bat. I don't want to wait until we've been on X number of dates, because I doubt it would even get that far if I fail to explain my issue.
    gianele Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 16, 2013, 09:34 AM
    Do tell him! I just ended a relationship with a guy who had social anxiety(among other things) and I had to figure it out on my own which caused me confusion, grief and self doubt.

Just tell him you are excited to meet him, however you are a little shy and you think it has to do with a slight anxiety problem you have. I may be wrong, however with anxiety the more you do things, the easier they get because you realize there is nothing to be nervous about.

Try that, but do tell him otherwise he will not know what your problem is if a situation arises; and may end it over a mis-interpretation.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jan 16, 2013, 10:08 AM
    It won't hurt to tell him. You don't need to go into deep detail about it but enough that he is aware and won't think you are not interested.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 16, 2013, 11:03 AM
    I say NO, until you are sure this nice guy is a nice guy and not a charming predator. Coffee in a safe place is fine but maybe a first meeting isn't the place to make him aware you have personal issues, just leave it with you are shy in public. Then you can observe HIS actions and reactions, which are more important than worrying about your SA.

Don't try to over compensate your SA with too much information, so soon. Enjoy your coffee but keep it simple ad stay alert. You don't need a boyfriend just yet,no matter how bad you want one, so go slow until you are more comfortable with yourself. The more casual interactions with people, especially men the more experience you will gain, but don't just latch onto the first coffee date and expect the great first love of your life, thats not healthy, and very counterproductive, and dangerous as well.

Hope you stay open to other offers for coffee or a movie or whatever from others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Met a guy online and getting impatient ! [ 24 Answers ]

Hi I am a 40 year old divorced (for 5 years) woman with children. I felt the need to ask this question online because nobody who I know has had any experience of online dating. I have been single for years now and have never really met the right guy. I got my life together, took up new...

In what movie does a young girl meet a man online, they meet, go to his place, and [ 1 Answers ]

And she ends up cutting off his penis?

Father wants to meet his teenage daughter that he never met? [ 17 Answers ]

Hi! I was 15 years old when My girlfriend got pregnant.I freaked out and broke up with her.In the mean time that she was pregnant ,she met another guy and has been with him for 15 years.I tried calling her 5 years after the fact.I was 20 years old.She kind of shut me down pretty...

I met a guy online about a year ago . [ 7 Answers ]

I have a? I met a guy online about a year ago and we were both in relationships and I did the big girl thing and stopped talking to him. Delt with my issues. Now I am single I looked him up and he is still in this relationship and has admitted to having several affairs since I stopped talking to...

View more questions Search