Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pfieffer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 04:15 PM
    New Pup Seems Disinterested in Us
    As previous owners of a much loved chow/retriever mix who was incredibly affectionate we were excited to find a similar puppy mix a year or so after our first dog's passing. We've had our new girl abouut a week and find that she is almost entirely disinterested in us and only seems to withstand our affection when necessary or if there is some sort of food or play reward involved. This is heartbreaking. Anyone had similar experiences with a happy outcome? We need some hope or advice in the worst way.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 06:52 PM
    It could be she lacked contact with people or at least very many different people. There should be a good chance she will warm up to you as long as she is less than 12 weeks old. A lack of contact with people between 6-12 weeks can lead to problems. Even if she is a little older, try some of these techniques to aid bonding.

''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''

The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual. I have long used these or minor variations of them, and they are very effective. You may want to give him a belly rub while he is on his back too. Helps bonding. There is a big difference between him rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What should I feed my pup. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got a new pup - a german shepherd. She is nine weeks old and very cute. The breeder was feeding her bread and milk twice a day. I have read that milk is not a good thing to give a dog. Should I be giving her dog food and treats. I really don't know what she should be eating as she...

My pup is throwing up [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy started throwing up early this morning and has been consistent all day. She doesn't want to eat or drink much water, what could be wrong with her she is going to the vet tomarrow but I am just trying to figure out what to ask her to look for any help would be greatly appreciated thanks...

My Pup The Lab [ 2 Answers ]

My Pup( yellow Lab) have a bad small after Taking daily walks, I head that a Lab has 2 coats, and that they should not be bath but once a month, that is not enough for my lab, she needs a bath once a week. She is 5 months old and I have bath her once a weeks, sense she was 8 weeks. So far her coat...

Sneezing pup [ 4 Answers ]

We recently adopted a mixed female pup who (according to the SPCA and our vet) seems to be predominantly lab, is very small for her age (weighed 4lbs at 7 weeks) and so far is behaving like a lab puppy should behave. However, she sneezes a lot. Is this something to be concerned about? Is it...

View more questions Search