Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elainem1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2013, 12:22 PM
    Male, Rescued Shih-Tzu pees and poos on my bed
    We have a female lab and female Malti-poo, age 9 and 5 respectively. Six months ago I rescued a male, neutered, Shih-Tzu from the pound. Age approximately 4-5 years. We are a house of 3 adults. He's not a cuddly dog, won't sit on your lap for too long, and will go into the other room and be in his kennel instead of out with the family and the other two dogs and us. He knows his name and will follow me around the house. He is always excited to see us. He loves riding in the car, going for walks, is leash trained, kennel trained, doesn't fight grooming (except his face). He is neutered and was obviously someone's pet. He gets along well with the other dogs and plays with the Malti-poo. He sleeps in his kennel at night, the Malti-poo sleeps on the bed with us, and the Lab sleeps on the floor. I've been taking him on walks because he hates the grass, especially at night, he won't set foot on it! About half the time he will do his business, and, then he will come in and pee and poo -- sometimes on our bed! I've had lots of dogs and never seen anything like this. The other two do NOT do this. It's making us crazy and I would hate to get rid of him, but I can't keep cleaning the carpet and the bedspread. I don't have the time, energy or money! Is he not happy living with us? It's breaking my heart; I've got to fix this, or I will have to find him a new home. HELP !
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 16, 2013, 01:51 AM
    It sounds like he may have been pee pad trained. That means that he was trained to pee and poo on a pad or paper in the house. Sadly, dogs can't differentiate between a pad and your bedding, carpet, etc.

The fact that he doesn't like to go on the grass, makes it very likely that this is the case.

If so, it's just a matter of training. Since he is an older dog, not a young puppy, it will take a bit of time, and patience, but it is doable.

When you take him out to potty use a potty word "potty time", "make" whatever you choose. Keep it simple, and only use that word. Take him out, say your potty word over and over until he goes potty. When he does, tons of praise, pets, a treat.

If he has an accident indoors, a firm no, and then take him directly outside. If you catch him in the act, stop him mid stream or mid poo, and take him directly outside. Do not go back in until he's done his business.

If you're consistent, patient, use positive reinforcement, he should catch on that pottying inside is a no no.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shih tzu poos at night? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a shih tzu one and half year old who poos at night, I walk her 2twice a day, I don't feed her after 6pm and I let her out in the garden before I go to bed, I tried putting her in her cage at night but she just poos in her bed and howls and cries so now she sleeps in the kitchen with my other...

How do I train my 11 week old male shih tzu? [ 2 Answers ]

OK so I have never had a small size puppy and I thought it would be easy to potty train him but not at all... I take him out every hour or half and he has no problem peeing as soon as we get outside but even after he pees I stay out side with him for 10 minutes or so hoping he will poop but it...

Usual lifespan of male shih tzu [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering what is the usual lifespan of a male shih tzu

View more questions Search