Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asinghal Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2013, 10:02 AM
    How to move out from an apartment ?
    Hello,

I am planning to move out from my apartment, I am on lease but I have to break it and its OK for me to to pay fines for breaking the lease. I want to move out in March end, and I have to book my tickets accordingly say 8th April if I move out on March 31st because for those days I will be living in Motel. What is the procedure for moving out ? Is there any paperwork required after moving out and when should be the inspection date like on 31st March or before a week ? Please I want to know the whole procedure and time it will take as I have to book tickets. Help!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2013, 10:34 AM
    If you live in the US, this is probably explained in your lease. Most leases do stipulate terms for termination of the lease. I would imagine it would require written notice (a letter), of your intended date to move out. I would send this letter by certified mail and request a return receipt so that you have proof of when it was received by the landlord. Usually terms require something like 30 or 60 days written notice. Normally inspection is done after all your stuff is moved out, so you will have to coordinate with your landlord so that you are available to meet him when he's available. Hopefully your apartment is in good shape, he returns your security deposit to you, you pay whatever the penalty is for moving out early and so on.
    asinghal Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2013, 11:36 AM
    Thanks, Ok lets say I will give a wriiten notice to my landlord a month before (Feb end) that I will be moving out from the apartment on March 31st, now what's next step is to be done ? After 31st as I will move out and let them to inspect apartment and give all the keys and pay penalty fees, I am all done or I am required to come for some paperwork and all?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 15, 2013, 12:24 PM
    Any question on law (and this is a law question so has been moved to the correct forum) needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

What makes you think you CAN break your lease? How long does the lease have to run? Is there an early termination clause in the lease?

Unless the lease contains an early termination clause or you can negotiate an early termination with the landlord, you will be responsible for the balance of the lease or until the landlord finds a new tenant.

So you can give notice and even move out before 3/31. Doesn't mean you won't still be responsible for the lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California apartment move out cleaning [ 2 Answers ]

How much do I charge to clean a move out apartment that is infested with roaches?

My girlfriend wants to move out of our apartment, what do I do? [ 3 Answers ]

We have been together for 3,5 years and have been staying together in the same apartment for the past 3years. Iniatialy we were both working but I was taking care of business financially. After 2 years she quit her job and became dependent on me for 8 months, she got a new job a month ago, made a...

Can I move out of my apartment without an authorization letter from my housemates? [ 8 Answers ]

My housemates and I were all on a lease together. In 2008, we started a periodic tenancy. I emailed my landlord in November of 2009 to indicate that I planned to move out by January 1st, 2010. Initially, he said that it was okay. Two days later, he told me that I would need a letter from my...

Military move and my apartment lease [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has been told that we are going to be relocated. He has not received his orders yet but we are certain it is going to happen with in the next 30 days. We put in our 30 days notice with our move out date set to July 3rd. I got a phone call from the apt today saying that I will have to pay...

Asking someone to move out of apartment not on lease [ 5 Answers ]

My friend's boyfriend is asking her to move out of the apartment by the end of the day. Giving her less than one day's notice. She is not on the lease but pays half the rent (Cash). This is in Pennsylvania. People are telling me that they have to give her 30 days notice is this true. She has...

View more questions Search