Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Jan 15, 2013, 09:26 AM
    How might filing tax return as new U.S.Federal employee be different?
    Have my first tax return to file as a new U.S. federal employee. Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction as far as things I need to remember/consider/know that might make this tax return different from a normal 1040 tax return as an average public sector job? Is there a specific place where I might find info just regarding federal employees? What about the TSP savings? I file my own taxes on paper. Don't have any software.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2013, 10:57 AM
    I was a Federal employee. I filed the same forms and claimed the same exemptions/deductions as everyone else.

Are you asking if there are tax benefits specifically for Federal employees?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 15, 2013, 11:20 AM
    As JKT says - there really is no difference in how federal employees file taxes versus everyone else, although there are some nuances if you are in the military or foreign service. The Thrift Savings Plan is very similar to a run-of-the-mill 401(k) plan, so again no special issues - when you receive your W2 form the "federal wages" box will already be reduced by the amount you contributed to your TSP.
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Jan 15, 2013, 12:03 PM
    ebaines, JKT, thanks. That's what I needed to know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Federal tax return refund without w7 for filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

I had filed for federal tax returns and along with I applied for ITIN for my kid. I filed as married filing jointly. Now I got the W7 form rejected saying that send the original docs of my child(passport) to validate them before sep 14th. My questions are below 1) Can I send the notarised copy of...

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Employer forgot employee federal tax [ 3 Answers ]

My employer did not take out my federal taxes that I stated on my W4. I did not discover it till I started my 2009 taxes. My pay stub does not list federal taxes per a pay or YTD so it went unnoticed. What are my rights regarding this?

Wrong filing status for federal tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I used the wrong filing status. Will the IRS realized the error. I always filed head of household, but incorrectly put in single.

Filing status different for Federal return and State return [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a different filing status for Federal and State? I got married in October last year, but I and my wife were residing in separate states till early 2007. So, on Dec 31st we were married but did not stay together. For the state I guess we cannot file JOINT because of different states....

View more questions Search