Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dblack123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2013, 10:58 AM
    If I move out from and illegal dwelling space can sue my landlord
    I found out that my apartment was and illegal dweeling, housing came in told me that am not require to pay any rent, whenthings were broken he wouldn't fix it, I was paying extra on my rent for utilties this is before I found out about the apartment being illegal when he specifically stated that utilities is included in the rent.

He took me to court, the judge order me to move ans not pay him any rent, I move out on 112/7/12, am wondering can I sue him for the rent I paid for the pass 2 1/2 yrs I lived their, he wasn't paying utilities he was stealing from other tenants in the building.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2013, 03:34 PM
    Probably not successfully. He would probably be fined for renting out an illegal apartment but you didn't really suffer any damages - you agreed to pay what you did for what you got.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2013, 05:57 PM
    I would try, at least in small claims up to the amount or the limit,
    All that can happen is you would lose.

The issue being, so what if you win, do you think this person who steals electric, rents illegal apartments would actually pay you ? Most people who win in court never see a penny, they get a piece of paper that says they won and have a judgement,

Then you have to try and collect the money
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 14, 2013, 06:39 PM
    Fr_Chuck is right - you will pay about $50 to take him to court, win, and he will never pay. It takes more trips to court before you actually have a hope of getting a dime.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue Landlord over Illegal apartment? [ 13 Answers ]

Ive been living in an illegal apartment for 3 months, this being the third month. It has been nothing but hell honestly, the landlord and her family are horrible, they're loud, they bang on the ceiling at us for WALKING but they have what sounds like a party downstairs all night and day and we lose...

Can I sue my landlord? I just found out that my apartment is illegal! [ 22 Answers ]

I have been renting a 3 bedroom apartment in a private home for almost a year now. We are in Islip township on Long Island. Our lease is up next month. There are also 2 other apartments with 2 other families occupying them. The landlord came to us with our new leases this weekend and it said that...

Being evicted from Illegal Basement. Can I sue my landlord for Food expenses? [ 3 Answers ]

The city is making us move out by the 13th. They already took our stove out and won't let us use the microwave (its ours so they didn't take it). The inspector said that it needs to be gone by the 12th but we can not use it to cook any food whatsoever. So we have been eating out for all of our...

View more questions Search