Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albionhigh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2013, 06:58 AM
    Vacation benefits
    Can employer not give employees time off when vacation time is requested. We well work over time sometimes. And are getting burned out, we employees work in a long term care facility. Sometimes we work earlier hours staying later after our scheduled shift ends to help with the next shift who happens to be shortstaffed. That is the reason our employer is giving us so we aren't granted our requested time off. Can they do this, is this legal.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2013, 08:39 AM
    Depends on what the stated vacation policy is. An employer is not required to offer paid time off at all. No federal law says they do. Since you neglected to tel us where this is, we can't cite state laws.

Even if there is a policy for vacation time, the employer can refuse to honor requests if staffing needs require. But once a request is granted they can't take it back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can employer withhold vacation benefits? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has been with a company for 7 years. This company reduced everyone's salary by $2 an hour. Now they are withholding vaction. My husband had work his way up to 3 weeks per year. Now they are telling him he will not qualify for vacation(now back to 1 week)until his anniversary date...

How do I respond when an employee asks to extend vacation days while on vacation? [ 2 Answers ]

Employee asked for Monday off for vacay. Approved. Then, Monday evening, she called me to ask for Tuesday off. She is an employee who has done this before, giving reasons that have to do with her son and his father spending more time, etc.etc. I'm all for family time, but feel that this is...

Employer refusing to pay vacation/sick time benefits. [ 1 Answers ]

I have been a CEO for 7 yrs for this company who has started to fall on hard times because they are part of the auto industry platform. I obtained the position of COO after the CEO died and have been the Senior Director since. I carry no stock in this company. Recently the board decided to...

Can a 1099 receive Vacation Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

If an employee moves from a W2 to 1099, Are they entitled to cash out on their remaining vacation benefits?

View more questions Search