Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggieslildollx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2013, 08:49 PM
    What is wrong with me? Why aren't I grieving for my grandmother?
    My grandmother passed away just Tuesday gone, we were extremely close.
    I’m 17 and she’s lived with me my whole life, we were more like best friends than gran/granddaughter. Anyway she had cancer and battled with it for 6 months.
    Throughout her life she was hit with illnesses one after the other, she was a true fighter. I guess the last 6 months I’ve prepared myself for it.

But even now it feels surreal. Last week when it happened I was with her as she took her last breath. I can’t believe I was strong. Thinking of that moment before, I always thought I would scream my head off but I didn’t I was strong

Afterwards I cried and cried. At the funeral I broke down giving my speech at church

Now it’s not even a week since she’s gone and it feels like a 100 years ago
    I feel like I’m done grieving, I’ve accepted it and I’m ready to move on and laugh and get back to normal. But this isn’t right? She meant everything to me, I should be upset, depressed, grieving and missing her but I’m not. Obviously I love her more than anything and I will miss her.

I don’t know it’s like I’m "too strong" right now and that scares me. Is this normal? Will I ever grieve for her?

I just don’t know. I feel like a cold hearted who is getting over her easily and yet she was one of the most important people in my life and her death should have a major effect on me because without her in my life. Everything will change. What’s wrong with me?!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 09:39 PM
    We all grieve differently at, in different ways and different times.

You may have other feelings in 3 months, or a year, may cry when you hear something about her or hear a song she liked.

Or you may have prepared yourself, understand that she was ill, and that death is part of the cycle we go though.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2013, 01:22 PM
    I mourned and then thought I was okay when my husband died. Six months later one night, for absolutely no reason, it hit me - hard. Up until then the loss had not been real. Maybe I was numb. I don't know. I know everyone grieves at a different pace, in a different way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I or aren't I? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am now 1 day late, however the last 5 to 6 days I've been have very very light brown discharge on and off... I wouldn't know it if I wasn't wearing a pad.. I've also been feeling really queasy at random times in the day, headaches and the last 2 days I've had pee way more frequently than...

How to help grieving mom? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My Dad passed away in January after a long illness. Mom and he were married for over 43 years. I have never experienced grief the way I have over the last few years during the illness. I don't know the 'etiquette', I am trying to get through it the best way I can: feel it when I need to,...

My dog is grieving [ 6 Answers ]

My husband passed away late last month, quite unexpectedly. We have 2 dogs - a 4 year old German Shepherd/Gordon Setter mix we adopted at 5 months that absolutely adored him and a 3 year old AKC GSD we've had since she was 6 weeks old that is more my dog. "His" dog trusted no one when we got her...

50/50 - am I or aren't I [ 21 Answers ]

Hey everyone, this case scenario has probably been asked a million times, so here goes with another one, My LMP was on 29th August, we had sex on and around days of ovulation, for the past week I have had very sore nipples, my breast look and feel very full, cramping and twinging around lower...

Grieving dog [ 3 Answers ]

My 10 year old jack russell died very suddenly at home about one week ago his best friend is my 8 year old female jack russell who is now grieving. We are trying to keep her happy and feel needed and loved, but how do we help her when we are at work all day. I leave both a radio & TV on for her,...

View more questions Search