Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xIrishGirlx Posts: 62, Reputation: -1

Jan 13, 2013, 03:56 PM
    What is the Greatest Revenge?
    Is it happiness? Is it success? Is it apathy? Is it forgiveness?

I have wanted to get the quote "success is the best revenge" tattooed on me for some time but, I've recently begun to question that philosophy.

Is forgiveness weakness? I hardly think it's suitable punishment if the other party is without guilt. But, within yourself, forgiveness might be inner peace, and therefore, vengeance.

Is apathy ignorant? If you turn your cheek, isn't that a blow to the person trying to snuff you out? To simply carry on without a care. That might be vengeance.

To succeed? To live well, to have fortune (it doesn't have to be money, but fulfillment, to be rich in happiness).

I'm second guessing all of these philosophies and waiting until my eyes are open to the truest one for myself before I proceed and have it as a reminder on my skin forever.

In you opinion, what is the greatest revenge?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 07:46 PM
    Forgetting is the best revenge,

When the event does not even make your memory and has no importance.

If one remembers it, then they give it too much importance in their life.

The best revenge is no revenge at all.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2013, 07:54 PM
    Grace. When wrong is done to us - we are hurt, slighted, slandered - and we react graciously and show our best rather than reacting in kind, we render the person who hurt, slighted or slandered us powerless.

I guess it's much like Fr.'s answer - if we do not react, do not lower ourselves to the occasion, do not even remember it - we pull the plug.

But let me ask you this - revenge. Revenge is an ugly kind of a word and sentiment. Do you really want it inked on your body? As I've gotten older I've learned to immerse and surround myself with the better things in life, which aren't things at all really. Experiences, influences, feelings, art, people - things that build me up and make me better. Revenge would not be a word with which I would want to permanently label myself.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jan 16, 2013, 08:11 AM
    I too agree with the good Padre and dontknownuthin knows something here also.

To forget it and move on takes all power away from any transgressions we encounter.

Longing for revenge is a negative state we are better off without.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jan 22, 2013, 04:07 PM
    I heard an old saying that goes "Living well is the best revenge." I think it's true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Were you at Woodstock? Greatest Musicans of that era? Greatest Guitarist of all time? [ 11 Answers ]

Were any of you at Woodstock? I wish I could have gone. I love the bands like The Grateful Dead, Crosby,Stills,Nash,Young,Santana,Canned Heat, Richie Havens. Okay last question, who do you think is the greatest guitarist of all time? You can have a runner up also. I think Stevie Ray Vaughn was the...

The greatest first lady ever! [ 78 Answers ]

I'm not sure which is worse, the left's rabid hatred of Bush or their creepy infatuation with the Obama's. We're getting such hard hitting investigative journalism as Michelle's $540 sneakers, what the Obama's had for lunch, what a fashionista Michelle is, how magnificently toned her arms are and...

Greatest book [ 17 Answers ]

What is the greatest book(any type of literature) And why

Fractions from least to greatest 3/4; 14/16; 15/25; 17/20; 3/18 [ 2 Answers ]

Trying to help my son in Fractions. Need to know how to figure out the fractions from least to greatest 3/4; 14/16; 15/25; 17/20; 3/18

T2 Greatest Movie Ever! [ 2 Answers ]

I know I might be a little behind the times, but I just saw T2 in it's entirity today, and the movie is GREAT! By far one of the best action movies off all freaking time! I have seen bits and pieces before, but like I said I just saw it today as a whole and WOW. It's the ****. The music, the...

View more questions Search