Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetgirl2012 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2013, 02:33 PM
    I just got divorced and my x wants to claim my daughter on his tax returns
    I got married in July 2012 and put in divorce papers on November 9 2012 we didn't have any kids together. Though we each had a child coming into the marriage. Now that we have split he wants to claim my biological daughter on his tax returns. Is that legal and can we claim our own kids on our tax returns. I made 30,000 this year and provided the house over her head the whole year. He moved into my house I paid all the bills on the house and bought the food for the house. So can we claim our own kids on our separate tax returns?

Merged Thread
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2013, 02:50 PM
    There are guidelines as to who can claim children. In this instance, at least in NY, you would claim yours and he would claim his.

Let him claim them both. You claim yours. IRS will sort out the returns.

I believe he will lose the battle.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 03:45 PM
    The key is WHO provided the most support for each child.

If your ex can proof HE provided the most support, then he will prevail.

If he cannot, then you, as the custodial parent, will prevail.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2013, 06:34 PM
    This is often directed in the divorce settlement

Jan 13, 2013, 07:18 PM
    Tax questions
    Hi I was not divorced yet by the end of the year. My x husband brought a son to the marriage and I had a daughter. We were together for three and a half months before we filed for a divorce. Can I claim head of household if I pd the bills on the house and I just claim my daughter, and let him claim his son?

Jan 13, 2013, 07:31 PM
    Thanks for the insight. I also pd for the house and taxes on the house and the house is under my name. I provided food for the family out of my check. Can I claim head of household and also claim my daughter? And he just claim his son?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2013, 07:45 PM
    Did he ever adopt your child? If he didn't and you have supported her all this time, I can't imagine how he would prevail in claiming her. Tell him "no" and let him address it in court if he so desires. If he wants to claim her as a dependent, you can raise the question of whether he will then be providing child support for her. We can only claim as a dependent an individual who actually financially depends upon us!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 07:55 PM
    If the divorce is not final, then you are still married and MAY benefit by filing jointly. Talk it over with him and, if he agrees, you can find a tax professional who can medel the return filing jointly and separately to determine which results in the largest refuynd.

Head of Household is NOT an option if you are still legally married.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim tax returns on money sent abroad for educational loan purposes? [ 1 Answers ]

I am resident alien working on an exchange visitor (J1)visa. I have a lot of educational loans back home which I had to utilize in order to study in the Unites States and start working. I end up sending about $6000 a year to pay off my loans. Can I claim the amount on my tax returns?

Can I claim deceased husband's son on 2012 tax returns? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband died in March. I plan on filing jointly and would like to claim his son as a dependent also. I believe it is my right as this would have been his fathers year to claim him via court. His mother insists that I have no legal rights since the father was incapable of contributing towards his...

Can I or Do I claim my daughter under the Nanny tax? [ 2 Answers ]

My older daughter babysits for me so I can go to work until my Husband gets home from work ,approx 6 hours a week . Can I claim this ?

How to claim my teenage working daughter for 2009 Tax return [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have 4 kids, 17, 15, 11, and 4. I am separated and working full time. In the past years I used to claim all my kids as dependents, but this year my oldest daughter is working, she made close To $2000 for 2009. Now my questions are; 1- Do I still claim her as a dependent, since I still...

Can I claim my absentee kids on my tax returns? [ 3 Answers ]

My3 kids (15, 12 &7)live with my ex in Africa. Although they have never been in America before, a sizeable part of my income is remitted to them for their upkeep. Can I claim them when I file my taxes?

View more questions Search