Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whab1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2013, 04:42 AM
    Paint
    What's best paint to use on particle board?
    samcreed Posts: 132, Reputation: 18
    -

Jan 13, 2013, 05:04 AM
    I have painted particle board many times, also OSB board, and plywood. I just finished helping a friend re-do a mobile home, using this type of boards. First, use a good primer, such as Kilz 2. It is water washable, and will cover almost anything that might "bleed through" to your final coat of paint. It might take two coats of Kilz to cover any ink impressions in the boards. Then, you can use almost any kind of paint to finish the job. Good painting!
    whab1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2013, 03:11 PM
    Thank you!

QUOTE=samcreed;3368318]I have painted particle board many times, also OSB board, and plywood. I just finished helping a friend re-do a mobile home, using this type of boards. First, use a good primer, such as Kilz 2. It is water washable, and will cover almost anything that might "bleed through" to your final coat of paint. It might take two coats of Kilz to cover any ink impressions in the boards. Then, you can use almost any kind of paint to finish the job. Good painting![/QUOTE]
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2013, 05:27 PM
    Be a little careful with water based primers. Don't saturate the particle board because the glue will start to break down and the board will crumble. Better to go with a light coat of primer and when dry apply another coat.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 09:32 PM
    I too like Kilz but I would go with oil based.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2013, 12:20 AM
    What are you painting and is it going to be used indoors or outdoors?

Oil based primer is less likely to warp the partical board but will creat terrible fumes, so shouldn't be used in a closed-in space - you need a lot of ventilation and will need to be able to open the windows wide.

Make sure when you buy your primer and paint to ask at the counter if they are appropriate products to use together, for a partical board surface. They are labelled differently for interior or exterior use also, so choose the right one depending on whether your partical board item is going to be inside or outside.

Another option is paint with the primer built in. It's more expensive but saves you a step and a product, so can be worth it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will an oil-based paint cover a latex paint? [ 4 Answers ]

Will an oil-based cover a latex ceiling paint? I have a customer that had some ceilings painted and there is now moisture damage showing through the paint. Will an oil-based sealant/primer (such as kilz or pro-bloc) adhere to the latex painted ceilings?

What kind of paint should I use to paint a shower [ 3 Answers ]

What type of paint would you use to paint a shower

Is there any reason to paint the ceiling with paint when the white primer looks good? [ 4 Answers ]

I just finished putting up new drywall and sprayed a white primer on the ceiling - 2 coats. The ceiling looks good and I'm trying to decide if I really need to paint the ceiling now or can I just leave the primer as it is?

I am a girl and have to figure out what paint and how to paint my barn? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so now that I have your attention.. I have a very old existing barn with not much paint on it. Who knows when and with what type of paint was used it is so weathered. I think I can just paint over it. In its condition I would have to sand it. The paint is not flaking it is just very weathered...

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

View more questions Search