Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mummymusic13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2013, 10:00 AM
    How to deal with someone with aspergers?
    Hi, I've been with my boyfriend for 6 months today and from the start I have known he has Asperger's syndrome. I don't fully understand, he loses his temper really quick and gets mad at me... He has flown off the handle at me because of a facial expression that I wasn't even aware I was pulling and blamed it on Aspergers... Does any of this sound like part of Aspergers? Or do you think he's miserable and just a generally angry bloke?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 10:14 AM
    First, has he been formally diagnosed with Asperger's?
    Mummymusic13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2013, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    First, has he been formally diagnosed with Asperger's?
    Yes, he has been diagnosed with Aspergers.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 10:25 AM
    About ten percent of those with Asperger's have an anger management problem, with temper tantrums as children. He should be in an anger management class and learn how to take responsibility for his feelings. Does he have a therapist/counselor or doctor or social worker or some kind of an advocate?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2013, 10:31 AM
    The facial expression thing sounds weird to me because one of the signatures of aspergers is that people with the condition typically miss social cues with facial expressions being a prime example of that.

There are some really great, accomplished people with aspergers but they struggle with social connections, authority, boundaries and picking up on the feelings and needs of others. It can be very challenging for a relationship. If you are serious about dating this individual, I would recommend that you seek some professional advice and insight. Also, though it can relate to aspergers, he cannot be abusive to you verbally or otherwise or frighten you with outbursts and then just make excuses. Aspergers makes self-control more difficult but not impossible and he has to do whatever is needed to manage his impulse issues. If he isn't doing so, you will need to leave the relationship.

I would not tell you as a blanket generalization not to date a man with aspergers. Rather, I would suggest that you not date a man who has a known challenge which impacts his treatment of you unless he is managing that challenge proactively and has it under control. If he can't yet control it, well, he may need more time, help and effort to get there before he enters a relationship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to deal with persons who may have aspergers [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I was unemployed but recently got a job with a person who has all symptoms of Aspergers but seems unaware of it. She lacks social skills, is often rude, arrogant and overbearing. When she starts talking itīs impossible to get a word in and when I or anyone else disagrees with her, she gets...

Is Aspergers a mental illness? [ 1 Answers ]

I suffer from depression, which I know is a mental illnes, but isn't Aspergers a form of Autism, which isn't a mental illness, but a disorder?

Is this Aspergers? [ 3 Answers ]

I have read about Aspergers on line but still have a question. What if the only symptoms are a heated dislike of small talk, a frequent need to be left alone and aversion to crowded places. Does he have Aspergers syndrome?

How to communicate in a relationship with someone who has aspergers? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, I will try my best to explain myself without bogging you down with so much details. :P I do have a tendency to do that at times. :P Anyhow, I have been in a 1 relationship with a really sweet, caring, understanding guy named Shawn. Shawn is a lot younger than I, but he's so mature for his age....

Aspergers in marriage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a son with Aspergers and I wonder if my husband has it too. Do all Aspies have to be focused on one topic? My husband is not focused on one subject rather he matches the emotional connection. We have been married for almost ten years. Our biggest fight has been his lack of affection. ...

View more questions Search