mo1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Grandparents rights
    Are there such a thing as grandparents access rights:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    heavenzdevil17 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mo1
    My grandparents used them when I was a kid, so I think they're still around...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 11:10 AM
    As to what ?

If you are talking about after a divorce for visitation, a few states have it, many don't, it will depend on where you live ( not sure about Canada and other nations)
    oldpoet Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Grandparents Rights differ from state to state. I live in California. I raised my grandson for the first 8 years of his life. I supported my daughter, his mother while she earned her college degree. Suddenly, I was of no use to her. She forbid me to ever speak to or see my grandson again. It has been 3 years and the space in my life and heart that was once filled with Jonah, has swallowed me up. The Constitution of the State of California "provides for the biological parents to raise their child as they see fit..."
    A grandparent has only 1 right- the right to petition for visitation. The chances of the grandparent winning are slim to none. Trust me. I have been to hell and back on this issue.
    Moostepher Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Mar 18, 2007, 01:52 AM
    Depends on what state you live in - I am licensed in NJ and Pa and have somewhat of a concentration in granparents rights in NJ

Quite frankly, the US constitution grants great weight to the parents in this regards and after representing innumberable grandparents and parents, I have to side w/ the parents - grandparents, legally, I believe, should be treated the same as third parties - however, what shoud be (and fortunately is) the case is that third parties relationship w/ the kid in issue. If that third party raised the child, then they may stand in loco parentis, which gives that person rights largely co-equal w/ the parents.

Parents can and should be able to exercise their rights to protecting their child as they see fit, w/o some old guy in a black robe telling them otherwise.

Mar 18, 2007, 09:13 AM
    AHA! Advice from legal counsel!
    Now there's areally chuckler!
    I DID raise my grandson while my daughter did her "own thing."
    She was not there to read to him, comfort him when he awoke from a nightmare, or to clean up his vomit in the middle of the night.
    Indeed, the state Constitutions "weigh heavy" in support of the parents right "to raise the child as they see fit."
    How many children have had bones broken, head trauma, and even been murdered at the hands of these "parents"? The word 'PARENT" needs to be redefined. Beware all of the grandparents who have done all the hard work- the loving, the nurturing, the encouraging, the teaching, the praising, the loving... you could lose your grandchild at the whim of an adult child because of attorneys and the man (or woman) in the flowing, black robe.
    GET REAL out there... how many children are in foster care because their mommies and daddies are NOT fit??
    Moostepher Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Mar 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
    If you did all that you said then you would not be a third party - it sounds as if you could stand in loco parentis - which, as I said, gives you rights largely co-equal w/ the parent.

How about instead of "redefining" society's definition of a grandparent, how about you more clearly define you own roles. You have a daughter or son who can't get their act together and irresponsibly brought another life into this work and had to rely on you too heavily. Sounds to me as if it isn't society or the law that is at fault, but, instead your son or daughter and your role in your grandchild's life that is out of wack (fortunately a grandparent, or any third party for that matter, do not too commonly act in loco parentis - however, whenever a parent doesn't stepup and be a parent, that is always a travisty).

Peace out.

Mar 18, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Yes indeed.. I did all and more. I supported my daughter and her child while she earned both her BS and Masters in Speech Pathology. Jonah was a brilliant toddler and a fluent reader by the age of 4. Jonah's father kicked them both out when Jonah was 3. The child was combative and angry. My daughter had no interest in participating in helping to guide her son through the difficult transition. I could not simply stand by so I sought the help of a child behaviorist. It was hard work but the child flourished. He was so happy, finding delight in the world around him.
    No- I cannot redefine MY role. It was defined for me by the family court system of the State of California. Grandparents have but ONE right according to family law and that is the right to petition for visitation. I spoke with numerous attorneys who specialized in grandparent rights and was told by each and very one that I could spend 20, 30, 50 thousand dollars and would in all likelihood, lose. I did end up spending thousands. I did fight for my grandson but it WAS the system and it WAS the law that tore us apart. For Heaven's sake... look at the equation- what does it require to conceive a child? A primal, non-thinking act. Does this automatically endow the individual(s) with the gift of compassion, caring, unselfishness, and the skills to provide a child with nurturing, a sense of belonging, strength, motivation, along with the many crucial skills the child will need in this world? NO! The family court system is to be held accountable for what becomes of so many children that suffer because the LAW says that it is in their best interest to be with their birth parents. THAT is the travesty. I had no choice. I was a victim of the LAW. Jonah is a victim of the LAW. I have had 2 students die at the hands of their own BIRTH parents. The father, the perpetrator never spent a night in jail. The LAW? Damn right it is to blame.
    tinkerbell77 Posts: 96, Reputation: 6

Mar 19, 2007, 12:50 PM
    I feel for your situation! I am the parent fighting my parents to not have rights. And looking at your case, I'm truly sorry that you didn't get some kind of visitiation since you were such an active role in your grandchilds life. Kids need stability, and love! So I'm sure that he misses you as much as you miss him.
    In my case I have been the only one there for my children. My parents never played a active role in the children's lives or lived with them. And because they are mad at me they are trying to fight for visitation. We haven't gone to court yet. But I hope they do find no visitation for my parents for many reasons. A lot of it involving the mental and physical abuse I received and want my kids away from. Your post is encouraging to me that they will find that me being a "fit" parent can raise my kids as I see fit.
    But again, I truly am sorry for your loss. They need to get out of there robes and come in to our homes to see the decisions that they are making for our children.

Mar 19, 2007, 04:38 PM
    For Tinkerbell77...
    Indeed, the joys of being a grandparent must be earned. It is not an automatic privilege.
    I had wonderful grandparents from whom I learned priceless lessons- through their voices, I came to know my history, my legacies, all those who came before me. If not for them, I believe that my fragile "child heart" would have broken like a fine China cup. On the other hand, I work with a wonderful lady who was abused and molested by her grandfather and ignored and discarded by her grandmother. So yes... the legal counselors, social workers, court officials should decide case by case. Jonah was my magic and I was his touchstone where he found safety and a place where he knew he belonged.
    Yes, I do believe that both parents and grandparents will use the children as pawns, their "ace in the hole", a way to take control, to hurt, to retaliate. But who suffers the most? The child who has no voice. Good luck to you. May the Powers that Be bless your children's lives with goodness, strength, happiness, comfort, and much love! And may those same Powers guide my beautiful Jonah and protect and ever strengthen his precious heart, soul, mind, and spirit- and may he never forget what it felt like to be loved by his Nana.
    Pam
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Yes, there are states that recognize "Grandparent's Rights". There are also organizations that fight for those rights.

Grand Parents Rights Organization
    Grandparents' Rights: Encyclopedia of Everyday Law

There is also a new publication called, "Grandparents’ Rights Manual: 2007" It is available as an efile download from this site: The Grandparents Rights Manual: 2007

One other site, written for Grandparents, is the following:
    ASeniorLife.com - The Knowledge to Make it Better! - Grandparents Rights

Good luck to you.

Mar 19, 2007, 06:06 PM
    I applaud those groups which advocate for the rights of grandparents! An astounding number of grandparents are raising their grandchildren yet if the adult child decided on a whim to play Mommy or Daddy and step back into the child's life- the grandparent(s) is more often than not, discarded and invalidated. I live in Sacramento, CA and I was appalled to learn that there is not a single support group for grandparents. I raised my beautiful Jonah for the first 8 years of his precious life. What a treasure! He was the magic in my life. I also supported my daughter (his mother) while she earned her BS in Speech Pathology and subsequently went on to earn her Master's degree. When she no longer needed me- she severed all ties and told me that I would never see or speak to Jonah again. It has been 3 years and his absence in my life is like a hollow nothingness. When I attempted to send him little cards, gifts... she served me (in my classroom!) with a Petition to file for a Restraining Order! Of course, it was denied and she was reprimanded by the family court judge but her evil malice has brought Hell to Earth for the entire family. My father is dying. My daughter is aware of this. He adored her and they shared a wonderful relationship while she was growing up. Her response to the information about her grandfather was a stone cold, ruthless silence and indifference.
    My 4 year old grandson (my son's child) told me recently: "Nana, if my Daddy or Mommy took me away from you, it would kill my life, it would just kill my whole life. Auntie Lexi killed my life because now I can't play with Jonah anymore."
    She took her son away from everyone- his family, his support system, his sense of belonging, an immense source of love and nurturing.
    She lost her own father to suicide when she was four years old. I was 27 at the time but never skipped a beat. I picked up their lives and loved them with a passion 2nd to none.
    She has a very odd boyfriend- an intellectual, heartless, hideous man. I have come to the conclusion that my daughter perceives her boyfriend as her "Daddy." She is told what to wear, who to communicate with, she is rewarded when she does as he asks and scolded if she does not. He is the "Daddy" she never knew. He has manipulated and brainwashed this once magnificent, charming, precious little girl and at his behest, she has disowned her family of origin. My grandson Jonah adored what he called "The Big Family." He delighted in his visits to his cousins, aunts, uncles, and his great grandparents. Now his "story" ends. His story, the history, his legacies are lost to the selfish arrogance, stupidity, and malice of his mother. The rest of his "pages" remain blank. We had so much to offer this wonderful child. What is he learning about relationships? Is he learning that people are discardable? If you no longer need them, you toss them out like rubbish?
    Yes. I own and have read many books about the rights (or lack thereof) of grandparents.
    "Get rid of the problem, NOT the people." says Arthur Kornhaber, MD- I suggest you read his The Grandparent Guide.
    Other experts definitively agree that if a child is separated from a grandparent with whom he/she has forged an "engendered bond", the child may well indeed suffer not only psychologically but physically as well.
    Conceiving a child requires but a primal act. Not everyone has the skills to nurture and love the child they bring into the world. How is it that there are thousands of children in foster care? Could it possibly be that their birth mother and/or father is unfit? Yet the Constitution of the State of California provides "for the biological parents to raise their child and they see fit." Who then determines what is "fit"?

Mar 20, 2007, 06:35 AM
    This is so sad Old Poet. You know when I broke away from talking to my parents because of there acts. I never took my kids away from the rest of the family or people that they have grown to love. Although there are some family members that have decided to make a war and choose sides and not think of the kids. That is there choice and my children at 7 and 8 have started to see what is truly going on. But as a "parent" you really have to look out what is good for the child. I have a friend who lived with her parents tell her child was 6 and they were "the parents". She has made sure that he mantains frequent contact and stays the night with them once a week, because that was always his home. She has her problems with her parents. But I truly admire her for seeing what is best for him. I really wish it was different for you. You seem like a grandma that loved raising your grandson. I hope you can find some support groups. And if not in your area, maybe on the net?? And definitely try the links that shygrneyzs suggested above! Good luck to you!

Mar 20, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Hello Tinkerbell77!
    I understand. When my children's father passed away- they were 4 and 6 years old. I moved 400 miles away in an attempt to protect them from their paternal grandparents.
    With regards to my Jonah- God knew what He was doing when He teamed us up- He knew that Jonah needed me. Jonah was pure joy! Pure Magic! I have never known a greater Love- so genuine, so real. I miss him. We did everything together and I made sure that I filled his world with sights and sounds, adventure, praise, kindness, and so many, many wonderful things that ALL children have a right to. I worry about him. I always will. I thank you for your kind words and wish you a beautiful, safe life with your children.
    oldpoet

Mar 26, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Thank you Old Poet...
    Just wondering for my situation... Did you ever have a investigation done by a advicate or councler? We had a review done in our case and she is suggesting my parents get visitation, but that there are many family problems stemming from my parents... So it really doesn't make since. Of course it's up to the judge to decide. I just hope that the judge see's what's best and not just one persons opionin.
    I wish you the best... I'm sure Jonah will remember the memorys you made with him. And when he is old enough, he may want to see you on his own.
    Rain Angel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 05:15 PM
    If you live in the state of Ohio there are no Grandparent's Right .

Mar 26, 2007, 05:38 PM
    For Tinkerbell77:
    I do not know in which state you live. I did hire an attorney and consulted with several others. An investigation was never an option, never suggested to me by my legal counsel. I can only assume that in California, it is not an avenue available to grandparents. This is unfortunate because had there been any type of investigation, many truths would have been exposed and I do believe that if this had been the case, Jonah would still be in my life.
    My attorney was a sweetheart, a gentle, kind individual but inexperienced with regards to grandparents rights. She was just as frightened as I was.
    oldpoet

Mar 27, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Oldpoet,
    I live in Colorado. And I think the reason for the investigation was because of a custody battle between my ex and I at the same time. The "counclor" knows the coucling part, but not the legal part. I've heard it's hard to get grandparent visitation. And my lawyer isn't really saying much. So I'm not sure what to think at this point? I'm sorry they didn't offer this to you in your state. It does get some truths out. The lady did put in her report that my parents have many family issues they need to deal with. So making the suggestion that the kids should still go over there cause there house is safe... Doesn't make much since. So I guess it's just in the judges hands. But thanks for all your advise!
    mygrandee2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 04:42 PM
    I need help fighting for my grandchildren who's mother doesn't want them what am I to do??

Mar 29, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Mygrandee2:
    If the mother doesn't want them, then wouldn't the state let family take them? What is the full situation... I don't know a lot about grandparent visitiation or custody,. but I've been doing my homework with being in court right now!! I can let you know what I've heard!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparents Rights ? [ 2 Answers ]

1) My Granddaughters Mother left her and my son has know time for his daughter, my son has an abusive relationship with his girl friend and they both us drugs,neither of them can hold a job . My granddaughter has been with me sense she was 2 and half she is now 5yrs my son says he wants, his...

Grandparents rights question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all! I am 25 and live in Ohio. I have a quick question about grandparents rights. My mother-in-law has theatened my husband and I with going to court to file for grandparents rights. Is she able to do this since we are married? Is it true that grandparents can not file against intact...

Grandparents rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old grandson whom his mumis not allowing me to see, do I have any rights

Grandparents rights [ 2 Answers ]

My grandson has been living with me & my family since December of last year. He was only suppose to stay here for a short time until his mother(my daughter) got on her feet. Well needless to say she hasn't come and gotten him yet. She has not been supporting him at all, my family and I have been...

View more questions Search