Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ogfisher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2013, 02:50 PM
    Is there a way to "undo" the contribution so that everyone is happy?
    I had an employee who started contributions to a 403(b) in 2012. It was withheld in December and has not yet been sent to the custodian. He has now changed his mind and would like to make no further contributions. The custodian does not want to open a small account for this employee which would remain small for years and years.

Is there a way to "undo" the contribution so that everyone is happy?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 10, 2013, 03:25 PM
    Give him the money, get him to sign off on the paperwork, and give him an amended W2 if he has one, and just pretend it never happened if he hasn't.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 10, 2013, 03:34 PM
    I would think your custodian already has a policy on this - most have a policy that any small accounts (those typically less than $5K) that do not have contributions made in the previous xx months (a year?) are automatically closed out. The employee has the option of taking the cash and paying the 10% early withdraweal fee or he can roll it to his IRA without penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Undo an Adoption? [ 1 Answers ]

I understand all that was said, adoption should be forever, however.. if the Mom is well now, (once drug addicted). The state gave her back one of her kids, and the two I have WANT to go back to their MOM, how do we undo an adoption ?

Undo an adoption? [ 6 Answers ]

I married a woman with two children, when I joined the military I adopted her two children in the state of Ga. And we had one together. Question is, can I unadopt her two and stll have to pay child support on them? To my Ex its always been about money, Im not a dead beat dad I pay child support but...

Lied and need to undo it [ 3 Answers ]

Okay well my issue is that my grandparents don't know that I'm dating my current boyfriend and last night was my homecomming game and I said that we lost and we totally won and I don't want my granddad to remember that I said that what cani do?

Excess contribution 401k, 1099R 2007 coded for 2006 contribution [ 1 Answers ]

Excess contribution 401k, taxpayer received 1099R 2007 Year coded for 2006 contribution Does this go on 2007 or 2006 return?

Hair undo [ 1 Answers ]

I was cutting my hair by myselkf and I cut way too much of my bangs I almost cut them all off! How can I fix it?:(

View more questions Search