Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kate729833 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 10:35 AM
    What happens if you default on car loan
    I have a car loan from Georgia, I was also in a DV family situation and fled with my car, I was homeless and living in my car, they had a GPS on it but I removed it and fled again, I have since then have had the blessing of them not finding me or he car. I know that my loan is in collections but at this point I have so much going on that I can't just give them back their car, Id rather just stick with the bad credit but am I going to get in legal trouble for removing the GPS? I am saving money at this point and I have a checkings and savings account, not much in there but can they take my money.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2013, 11:52 AM
    "They" put GPS on your car? Who is "they?"

If a judgment is obtained against you, yes, your bank accounts can be liened.

The circumstances will determine whether you committed a crime by removing the GPS.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 9, 2013, 01:49 PM
    By consciously removing the GPS tracker, you could be prosecuted for auto theft.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 9, 2013, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    "They" put GPS on your car? Who is "they?"
    Sometimes when you finance a car, if you are a high risk (or finance through a high risk company), they will require the GPS unit to be on the car so they can shut it down and repo it when you default. This is fairly common around here anyway.

The way I understand it, if you removed the GPS unit and are hiding the car from them, as Scott said, you are likely to be prosecuted for auto theft when they find you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2013, 02:47 PM
    I wasn't sure that a Court didn't require a monitoring device.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Default Car Loan [ 4 Answers ]

My situation is about a default car loan. To start, I lost my job, so I don't have regular income, so I've been missing my monthly payments. I think I'm 4-5 months late already. I tried arranging with the financing company last year (Oct 2008) for a payment scheme or a refi but I didn't qualify (my...

Car loan default [ 3 Answers ]

I took out a car loan that in 2007 I defaulted on a couple payments. I had lost my job and was only working part time, and barley making ends meet. I spoke with the bank on many occasions asking them to please hold off that I would address the issue in the following month (january). They stated...

Car loan default [ 6 Answers ]

Sister having lot of money problems since having her baby. Got car loan in March 2008. Should be making payments every two weeks. Last payment made was 4/16/08. Car repo person called her today and said that if she didn't turn in car today he was going to police and putting warrent out for her...

Car Loan Default [ 11 Answers ]

I missed 2 payments on my car loan and avoided calls from the lender because I knew I would pay them soon, when I received a long awaited check-in-the-mail. I got that check on Thursday and went online to make payments yesterday, Saturday, and was told that my "account had been closed". I then...

Default on car loan [ 6 Answers ]

I am facing a serious situation.I had a car loan and then I gat into an accident.It was a hit and run and the police never found the people that hit me.Unfortunelty right before that, because of serious financial problems, I couldn t make my insurance payments.Now I received a call from a lawyer...

View more questions Search