Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    renovatingwoman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Leaky Toilet
    On the floor around my toilet, there is sometimes a very small amount of water (seems like it goes from the back TO the front). I don't think it's the wax seal. I thought perhaps the tank was leaking from the flushing part that exits the tank because I felt dampness under the tank. But after checking, it appears that the tank could be leaking where the tank and the bowl are attached. I looked inside the tank and there is a main bolt that holds the two together. There is a washer around that bolt that looks like the rubber is corroding. (You know, when it gets black on your fingers when you touch the rubber washer, and the washer feels soft?) And, yes, there is moisture around that bolt on the outside of the tank underneath. I'm thinking that perhaps that washer needs to be replaced. (Do those things ever need replacing?) Do I empty the entire tank, dry the inside, and loosen the bolt to replace the washer? And, what guarantee do I have that I will tighten it properly so that it doesn't leak or wobble? Do I REALLY need to hire a plumber - or is this something I can fix myself with "muscle help" to re-tighten the bolt? Or am I on the wrong track altogether? Please advise. Thanks!
    busy1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Since nobody has replied I'll say something...

First, if you are still not 100% sure you found the actual problem, try: Fix a Toilet.com: Do-It-Yourself Toilet Repair| Leaky Toilet to see the various causes that might exist.

As far as what you have identified, yes those parts can corrode over time, and replacing them isn't normally a big deal. You might first want to make sure the bolt in question isn't just loose - maybe it's that simple. Otherwise, make sure you have the tools you need (usually adjustable or socket wrench for the bottom nut, screwdriver to hold the screw in place on top), shut off the water, drain the tank (and towel out whatever is left), then go at it. Most hardware stores will have the replacement tank bolt kit, and it would probably be best to replace the whole thing, not just the suspect washer. You may want to verify there is only one - many times there are 2 bolts securing the tank to the toilet - but maybe yours is different. At any rate, this might also be a good time to replace other old/corroded stuff in there too since you have the water out.

If when removing the bolt/nut are frozen or hard to get to, you might want to solicit some help, so one person can hold the screw from above while the other works the nut below. As far as tightening the new one(s), just remember that the tank/toilet in general are fragile - so take care when using tools around it, and when tightening the new bolt/washers on. Just make sure you have the washer(s) positioned properly, and then carefully tighten the nut until it feels firm and the tank feels firmly attached. Overtightening could possibly crack something. If you're not sure, just get it firm, drop a towel on the floor under the tank, and release the shutoff a little, and fill the tank a bit - if you see leaking, stop the water & tighten it some more, etc. etc.

If I'm forgetting some words of wisdom I'm sure someone will chime in... good luck
    renovatingwoman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Busy 1, thanks so much for responding. You're right - there are 3 bolts - I looked again over the weekend. I'll try tightening the bolts first to see if that helps because I noticed that all 3 bolts have washers that appear to be in the same condition. If this doesn't remedy the problem, then I'll follow all of your suggestions. My hands take a beating trying to loosen old plumbing nuts, bolts and fixtures - they're the worst! Thanks, again!
    oldbgood Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by renovatingwoman
    On the floor around my toilet, there is sometimes a very small amount of water (seems like it goes from the back TO the front). I don't think it's the wax seal. I thought perhaps the tank was leaking from the flushing part that exits the tank because I felt dampness under the tank. But after checking, it appears that the tank could be leaking where the tank and the bowl are attached. I looked inside the tank and there is a main bolt that holds the two together. There is a washer around that bolt that looks like the rubber is corroding. (You know, when it gets black on your fingers when you touch the rubber washer, and the washer feels soft?) And, yes, there is moisture around that bolt on the outside of the tank underneath. I'm thinking that perhaps that washer needs to be replaced. (Do those things ever need replacing?) Do I empty the entire tank, dry the inside, and loosen the bolt to replace the washer? And, what guarantee do I have that I will tighten it properly so that it doesn't leak or wobble? Do I REALLY need to hire a plumber - or is this something I can fix myself with "muscle help" to re-tighten the bolt? Or am I on the wrong track altogether? Please advise. Thanks!
    You cando it yourself, change the washer,but its still good to have the muscle to help you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky breasts [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: I haven't even gotten a positive test result back and finally my insurance kicked in but I haven't had the chance to make a dr.appt for a blood test yet due to a very hectic work schedule. My question to you ladies is... Has anyone every had their breasts leak during early pregnancy? If...

Leaky Toilet Tank - Small Air Bubbles Forming Around Flapper [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, My toilet tank is leaking into the bowl, causing the fill valve to run every 5-10 minutes to refill the tank. I have identified the problem as being with the flapper. Tiny air bubbles are forming around the seal preventing the flapper from making a good seal and keeping the water in the...

Leaky closet [ 5 Answers ]

My toilet closet seems to be leaking water in the toilet bowl.The causes the water system to keep pumping water into the closet to maintain the water level. What can I do to solve the problem

Leaky pipe [ 7 Answers ]

My water supply line pipe to toilet is leaking how do I fix it

Help -- Leaky stem on toilet supply line! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi: My husband and I are DIY newbies. We just attempted to replace a 70 year old leaky toilet in time for 1st holiday fam visit only to incur new problems. For one, the water supply stem is leaking (right around where knob connects to the stem)! Never done this before. To boot, the tank to our...

View more questions Search