Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

Mar 16, 2007, 08:44 AM
    My son has ADHD?
    Tomorrow I am going to talk to my 8 yr old son's psychologist about his results from his evaluation which includes ADHD. The psychologist works with my husband and told him that my son does have ADHD.

Even though I live with my son and see how he struggles, I am not too sure if I believe he needs medication for ADHD. I worry about the side effects and giving him the idea that a pill can solve all his problems now and in the future. I worry it will make him a zombie. I also worry that if I don't, he will hate school, drop out, became a drug addict, etc. I am sooo confused! My husband insist that he be medicated, he is a Dr and knows all, you know. We did try him on a couple meds last year and it made him worst.

At school, he stares blankly at the walls and doesn't do his work. He misses recess and field trips, so he can catch up on past work. At home, he stares blankly at his paper and cries saying he don't know... but yet has not even really looked at his paper. In sports, he runs erratically around the court with no knowledge of the game or care for that matter. He never stops talking, but he has gotten better in the past year. He is quit to anger but it is not a frequent occurrence.

His teachers call me asking me what to do to get him to do his work and I don't know what to tell him. I put him in a private school, so he could be in a small class... 10 students, but it didn't help. He is failing 2nd grade because he won't do his work, but when he does his work he makes A's! His last standardized test he made 91% overall and 99% in a couple of the subjects.

He is a good kid! He doesn't cuss, hit, bite, throw stuff, etc. He pretty much keeps his room clean and eats all his veggies. He does not care for sweets and would rather have fruit. Other than his school performance, his is a perfect 8 yr old boy.

We have struggled with his behavior for 4 yrs, ever since preschool. I have read the books. I have looked at all the web sites. But all their suggestions consist of consistancy and structure, which I have a hard time myself sticking to, so how do I expect him too?

Can a parent or professional please help me help my child?

Meds or no meds?

Diets?

Any ideas?

Thank you!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 08:53 AM
    As for diets, does he have any food allergies that you know of or sensitivity to food additives? You may want to consider having him tested for allergies.

There are new meds out that will make him less "zombie-like." This should most definitely be considered.

Also, children with ADHD tend to respond to touch. My mother-in-law who is a 4th grade teacher who has a few children in her class with ADHD and she finds that when they are having a hard time concentrating she just walks up behind them and puts her hand on their shoulder. It helps them to redirect and focus their attention.

But please, do consider the allergy testing and consider the meds. They are helpful.
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Mar 16, 2007, 09:00 AM
    This may not be an answer per say, but when I was young I was told I had ADD. My parent's put me on med's for it and omg it worked very well for me. I'd sit still and focus better. That is the most important thing. When I was 12ish I was told I had ADHD very badly. So we tried med's again. It helped once again to make life more focused in school. I'm glad my parent's put me on it. Now, I've heard and I also believe that it's not good to keep a child on it for a long period. ADD or ADHD is part of the child's personaliy and can be used for good rather then bad. Med's over the year's can change the kid's personality. But over the year's. I was only on med's for a few month's at a time. My fiancé has ADD and he is 19. He uses it to his advantage. He's able to do many things at once, focus on different things. It's good to make lists. Teach your child these things in the upcoming years. Like I said, the med's helped me and honestly, think about it. You helping your child get those good marks that will last a lifetime. Remember though, ADD isn't a curse, I have it and to this day, I think it can be used in a good way. I hope you make the right choice. Good luck hope I helped.
    ~Meg
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 09:01 AM
    It sounds like he is suffering from his illness quite a bit and I must disagree with your statement "Other than his school performance, his is a perfect 8 yr old boy." ADHD is more noticeble at school because of the work load demands but it is not limited to school. You need to hear what the psychologist has to say. Meds may be a consideration but your husbands attempt might have been the wrong med. To your son, the world is spinning like a merry-go-round going 100 mph. Sights and sounds blurr to the point where he can not focus or concentrate. When he stares at the paper his mind is not staring at the paper, it is elsewhere due to the distraction of ADHD. You will still be the decision makers over your sons treatment so just wait to hear what the psychologist says.

Mar 16, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Thank you J_9 for responding.

He has been food allergy tested and he midly allergic to chicken, cheese, and baker's yeast. It is hard to keep all these foods out of his diet, with pizza, mac & cheese, and sandwiches being a kids favorites, but we try.

He does have a teacher that works with him when his regular teacher has had enough, that does use touch. She rubs his arms or back to help him focus and it did seem to work for a little while, but rarely works now.
    Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Another help might be to give him a Nerf ball, a small one that he can squeeze with one hand while working it helps with settle the figity-ness.

My mother-in-law also lets her children who are having a particularly hard time, walk around the room. They must be quiet, and they must walk around the room with one hand on the wall at all times so as to to be touching other students. This seems to help them calm down after about 5 minutes of walking, then they can focus again.

Mar 16, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I will take it all into consideration!
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 21, 2007, 01:26 PM
    My son has ADHD and like you I was very reluctant to treat him with medication. I came to learn he simply needs it because ADHD is basically a short circuit in the chemical mechanics of the brain that makes it impossible for affected individuals to discern between the various places they can focus their attention.

Because they cannot focus their attention, they have to pay attention to everything and it's exhausting, frustrating and ostracizing for them. It is, in turn, a nuisance to everyone around them.

Without meds, your child will be held responsible by you and others (people can't help it - we have our limit to how much we can tolerate in terms of interuptions, not following directions, fighting or whatever) and will pay a very high price for a problem he cannot physically manage differently.

It is not a total cure but meds will take him 80% of the way and make him able to be receptive to other things. YOu will need to be clear, consistent and to have set routines in place for him to thrive. You will need to make sure the school continues to academically challenge him. Some teachers lower their expectations for ADHD kids or make accommodations like giving them more time, which is exactly what will not help. ADHD kids are very quickly bored and that boredom is a launching pad to distracted behaviors. They often need their work to come at them at a faster pace, to do less review once they know something, and to have more challenging work that they can become interested in. Once interested in something, or challenged by it, ADHD kids have a higher than average capacity to super-focus on it.

Know that ADHD often comes with a fringe benefit - God tries to be fair, I guess. These kids are very often academically gifted. My son is.

Try the meds. People who have rallied against them may have a point because there are kids who are prescribed irresponsibly, but you have had a valid assessment done and are asking all the right questions. Your son is not being medicated just to make him compliant, and the behaviors you described sound like they have the potential to terribly curtail his life, ostracize him and make him sad.
    nikki66rqs Posts: 8, Reputation: -1

Mar 22, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Please don't put him on meds... this is a normal reaction of schools who "can't deal with it"... read The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life by Michael Gurian.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Mar 22, 2007, 09:20 PM
    I strongly disagree with nikki. Your son was not diagnosed by an impatient teacher or an ill-equipped school, he was diagnosed by a professional. Now, while I encourage a second professional opinion, I don't think you can resolve this situation alone, or by reading a book. Every child is different and reacts differently to medications. The key is to find the right medicine at the right dose for your son. Also, continue regular therapy. That way the Dr can assess how beneficial the meds are. I too am reluctant about medication, but in some cases it is necessary. Please don't be discouraged because of a bad reaction to one medication. There are dozens that work differently. Please note that all medications have side effects, but that doesn't mean they are not worthwhile. God Bless your son.

Mar 23, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Thank you vlee for your input and your blessings... we need it!

I wanted to add that my son has been diagnosed with severe ADHD by three health care professionals now. I was in denial, but I must face the truth now.

He has taken two different meds in the past two years, only briefly though, and they didn't work for him. Stratera made me aggressive and irritable. Concerta made him not sleep, eat or drink and he claimed that he felt his "head was going crazy."

We have tried psychotherapy alone, but had to stop because of the cost. It didn't seem to help him either.

Our insurance doesn't pay for mental health care or evaulation and we have paid a lot for him to have it.

I now know that we will have to use a combo of meds and therapy, but I don't know if we will be able to manage the cost for too long.

It will take time, but I know that my son will come out on top! He has two parents that love him very much and we are both dedicated to getting him the help he needs, even if we go broke doing it!
    Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Hun, don't forget that sometimes it takes up to six weeks, sometimes longer, to reach therapeutic effects of meds like this.

Many children don't need therapy once they reach the therapeutic levels. But sometimes the parents do.

Imagine this... sit in a room with the TV loud, the radio playing music you don't like, and the kids running around and screaming. Now, try to concentrate on one thing and one thing only. Read a magazine article during all of this activity and try to comprehend it. Then try to remember it in a half hour.

This is the brain of a child with ADHD. A calm soothing atmosphere with little interference must be present for the child to calm down and concentrate.

Mar 23, 2007, 02:11 PM
    The sad part of your example of a child with ADHD, the loud TV, screaming kids, and read article... That is how I get things done!

When I am studying for a big test in college, I can't sit in a quiet room... I need chaos! I sit in the living room with all the children, TV blaring, dogs barking and fighting, and phone ringing and I make a on my test.

If that is his world, then why can I do well, while he is going crazy?
    Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 02:20 PM
    OMG, that is how I function too!! Guess that is why I aced my last test!!

I guess that example does not work for us. LOL

But consider that he has a problem with thought processes, you have to learn how to streamline his thought processes while the meds take effect.

What happens is that one of his neurotransmitters not working right. In thr case of ADHD it would be norepinephrine. He needs a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, such as strattera, which you have already tried. But you need to give it a while to let it work. It can take at least 6 weeks to reach therapeutic effects of most meds.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2007, 11:40 PM
    Just a couple of points I would like to make. Many many more kids, younger and younger it seems are all of a sudden being diagnosed with problems that need medications.

Now honestly in my own opinion, and I know I might get 3 or 4 red squares and disagrees but putting an 8 year old on medication. I do not think that is right. I think all other possibilities and other options should be looked at first. Even change in atmospere or other teaching methods. Everybody is unique and have certain problems there are things that might make it worse or might make it better.

I feel that too many people are willing to diagnose this in kids that are way too young and medications with a quick fix to control kids but what I am saying here there must be other options out there, and if my child seemed like he had a problem I would do my best to make sure everything was looked at and different teaching tecniques would be used to see which works best for him.

Patience is the key.

Joe
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Mar 24, 2007, 06:08 AM
    I agree, med's aren't good for kid's BUT in moderation it is. I was given med's in 4th grade. It really helped me to focus and I didn't take too many to change my personality. Patience to me, woln't do anything for those who truly have ADHD. My doc told my parent's when I was 12 that I had the worst case of ADHD that he's seen. It's something that will be wit me forever. I think some parent's are focusing on how to ''fix'' the problem more then how to live with it. It's hard on kid's with ADD or ADHD. I know I can't do more then one thing at a time and I have to make lists. My fiancé has ADD, but he learned to live with it because his parent's are very kind and helped him. That's what kid's need these days, helpful loving parent's. I was unlucky, my parent's weren't parent's so I had to deal with these things basically on my own and I got bad grades all through out school. It's hard to grow up and live with your ADD or ADHD when it makes parent's angry because their child cna't listen or focus on chores. Lol, I certainly remember getting yelled at a lot because of my ADHD. I just hope that you woln't try to treat the problem only. That's all people do. I'd rather focus on the person with it, and help them live with their problem. Did you know in some ways ADD or ADHD can be a good thing? It can allow those who learn to live with it to do more then a few things at a time, to be more driven then other's. In my book that's fantastic. So I wish you and your child best of luck. I hope you are more loving and caring parent's then mine, that you'll help your child, not just to make life easier but to make the way of living it better.
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Here is an article I read. Anybody interested in a four year old being medicated and over medicated. Possibly on purpose or by accident. Please read this is hard breaking but this shows that medication is not always the answer in a child.

CTV.ca | Four-year-old's overdose death raises questions

Mar 25, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Jesushelper,
    I read the link you posted... it is a very sad story. However, I don't feel it is related to this one. The girl in the link was clearly intentionally over-medicated by her parents, who did NOT follow the doctor's orders. Of course that is tragic and devastating, but it doesn't negate the benefits of medication for those in need of it. Maybe there needs to be stricter limitations on refills so parent s are unable to do this. For example, only 10 day prescriptions for all children, and mandatory blood labs on any child who needs more medication before the script is due to be filled again. Just my opinion.
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2007, 08:50 PM
    That is the thing. In the article it also says that maybe the doctor is responsible.

For me personally and well the laws here in canada. Doctors are the ones that prescribe the medications. I believe they need to be more careful. Also the pharmacist. They should all be accountable, not just the parents.

Medicating a 4 year old, medicating a 8 year old. I do not think it is helpful and could cause more damage but that is just my opinon.

Vlee, mandatory blood labs on any child who needs more medications to be done before more refills sounds like an excellent idea. Good opinion. Like it.

Honestly Vlee, I know the link I provided might have had nothing to do in this situation. I felt like I needed to share the story and how medications for children should not be given or taken lightly...

Joe

Mar 25, 2007, 09:09 PM
    You are too diplomatic to argue with Joe! I think you are right, if this dr said it was OK to over-medicate at night she should be called out and punished. I agree that there has to be a clearer line of responsibility somewhere, I just don't want to see the kids who need the meds not take them because of the stories of abuse of the meds by parents who choose drugs as a way to tune out their children. Maybe parents need to be evaluated before these meds are prescribed to determine whether they will administer the meds properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adhd [ 2 Answers ]

What is ADHD? How does it affect children and adults? What kind of help is out there?

My Son [ 4 Answers ]

My 2 years old son not yet to start speak he, just call 'mummy' or 'daddy' only... we, me and wife is normlly not outspoken much please help me

Please help me and my son [ 5 Answers ]

OK here's my situtaion I do not want my son's father's mother any where around myself or my son,here's a little backround she's is on drugs every pill, pain killer there is, she does multiple kinds of drugs meth, crank she'll eat it, snort it, smoke it all in her house. Her 11 and 12 yr. old...

I need help with my son. [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 36 and have a 16 year old son. His mother moved to Scotland before he was born and 2 years ago died of cancer my son who I didn't even know about came to live with me. However we didn't really take to each other. Kyle(my son)had a stepdad who wasn't the most nice of people so he doesn't...

My son is gone... now what? [ 15 Answers ]

My son, Tiponi passed away in Dec. 2004. My shield of numbness is gone from me. I feel alone on the subject of death as no one here will talk about it or my son, Tiponi. If I mention his name the subject is quickly changed. If I have a moment of crying because I miss him so... my boyfriend...

View more questions Search