Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rewind2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2013, 05:35 PM
    State tax withholding
    My current residence is in Nebraska, I work with the post office and my new duty station is in TX, I am staying in Nebraska on detail until the middle of February, I know I will have to file with Nebraska as a part time resident for 2013, my question is with withholding, do I have to have my check withhold NE state tax, I have an option to switch my withholding status to TX (because of Duty station), What I am I required to do, also I start my other position in the middle of a pay period.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 10:14 PM
    Have NO Nebraska tax withheld. The amount of tax due on six weeks of salary will be so small that you can settle up when you file the Nebraska return as a part-year resident with no penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reduced federal withholding tax based on the India US Tax treaty [ 3 Answers ]

I am a citizen and resident of India. I am to receive an amount as beneficiary on an insurance policy from an aunt in the us, who was a US citizen and has passed away. Can I claim reduced federal withholding tax based on the India US Tax treaty? If so under which Article of the treaty? Thanking...

Opt out of Georgia state tax withholding [ 5 Answers ]

I am moving overseas as a Federal Employee married to an Active Duty person. Can I OPT OUT of paying Georgia State Tax since I will not be living and/or working in the state for over 3 years? If so, what do I have to do to OPT OUT of paying Georgia State taxes? Please help!

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didn’t withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

Withholding tax for a resident of a different state [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Consultants, I live in Arlington, VA and I am about to employ a part time babysitter in my house. The babysitter lives and attends school in Washington, DC. My questions are: 1) what do I need to do to establish myself as an Employer? 2) as an Employer which state tax do I need...

No state withholding by out of state employer? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Arizona and am an employee of a company based in Washington, DC. I noticed on my W2 that they did not withhold any state taxes at all for last year. Is it legal for them to fail to withhold state taxes for an out-of-state employee? Second question if you don't mind: I have Foreign...

View more questions Search