Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lillianhochstei Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2013, 12:13 PM
    501c3 tax deduction for rent
    Can a landlord take a charitable tax deduction for subsidizing rent?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 12:22 PM
    Yes - as long as you can show that the fair market price for rent is higher than what you are charging. For example if you have multiple units that are essentially identical and can show that other tenants pay $X./month whereas you are only charging $Y/month for a 501c3 organization, you can claim the difference as a charitable donation.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 01:07 PM
    However, if your subsidized tebant is an individual, then no deduction is alliwed.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    However, if your subsidized tebant is an individual, then no deduction is alliwed.
    Right - the lease holder must be a 501c3 charitable organization. If this is an apartment you may have a situation where the charity rents from the landlord in order to provide housing for an employee, but again as long as the lease holder is a 501c3 charity it should be OK.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Jan 9, 2013, 07:12 AM
    Could someone point me to the literature that allows a charitable deduction between fair market value of the rent and the below-market rent actually paid. It looks to me that this is a donation of a partial interest and no charitable deduction would be allowed.

However, I am not sure what the OP means by subsidized rent. If the landlord charges the fair market value and then donates cash back, then that would be deductible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dedpendent & rent deduction [ 2 Answers ]

Recently I have got transfer in us on L1 visa, since my wife & daughter is in India can I claim as dependence deduction for them? Also can I claim rent paid as deduction

About the tax deduction for the rent paid in 2009 - working in US on EAD [ 3 Answers ]

I'm working in US pending my green card status, currently, I have EAD (Employment Arthorization Document) from the INS, Also, I don't have the work visa, I'm completely depended on this EAD to work and stay in US. My question is, I can detect the rent paid in 2009 as tax deductable, please let me...

Deduction for rent paid after early termination [ 2 Answers ]

I had a 6 month lease extending from Jan07-Jun07. I terminated the lease early and had to move out of state starting Feb07. The landlord asked me to pay March and Apr rent which I agreed to. My workplace on the other hand, gave me a relocation package amounting to $5k but again, the "bonus" added...

View more questions Search