Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    callen825 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Giving the bride away
    My stepadaughter is getting married in September of 2007. She wants her real dad and myself to give her away. I do not feel this is appropriate, and quite frankly, I don't want to do it. I am not her real father, and he will be in attendance. Is it OK to have 2 people give the bride away in this situation?
    Thank you
    cissy17 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Mar 16, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Wow... that is a doozie. Obviously she loves you emensly to want to have you up there with her biological father, but I wonder if she's considered how uncomfortable this is making you (and probably her bio-dad, too)... I know when I was in my planning 'mindset' for my wedding, I sometimes lost focus of what others wanted - because it was "MY" day. :)

I've seen/heard of two people give away a bride before - but it's been the mother or the bride's brother.

What's Mom's take on this? Do you think that if you both suggest it, the bride may be okay with Mom stepping up to the plate? If not, then as much as it's going not be fun, you're just going to have explain your position - you're certain NOT snubbing or abandoning her, you just feel it's not your place with bio-dad to give her away.

Believe me, I got told 'No' while planning my wedding on big important things to me, too. Address it directly and it'll pass. Good Luck!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 08:08 AM
    If this is what the bride wants then it is fine. I am sure everyone in attendance will understand the situation completely. Do not miss out on this event and you should be very happy she sees you as equal to her real dad. You must have done a fine job.
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

Mar 16, 2007, 08:19 AM
    The bride can do whatever she wants... It is HER day!

I think you should feel honored she wants you to! You must mean a lot to her! Good Job!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Ok, that means she really likes you, it is a honor gettting the level of respect as her bio father.

This is her day, just do it and love her for the love she has to you.

I think this is just great she would want you also.
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Mar 16, 2007, 03:10 PM
    I was at a friends wedding where the biological father and the "daddy" father who raised her BOTH walked her down the isle. One on each side! The trick is finding two people who will NOT be upset at this arrangement... but its HER wedding and should be what will make HER HAPPY on this day in her life! DO IT! :)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Do this for your step daughter! What an honor. What a way to bless her marriage, to have you by her side. If anyone says anything negative, too bad for them. They cannot see past their own nose, as the saying goes.
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 16, 2007, 05:18 PM
    OH don't take that specialness and closeness she feels toward you and take it away from her. Feel honored and happy she thinks so highly of you,. Would it be that hard to show your love in honoring her request?
    Think before you say no to her, are you willing to just toss that bond away over that one night, the day that will be forever remembered and turn it into something that would perhaps just crush her?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filipino bride/wedding scam? [ 41 Answers ]

Met her online, wedding is being planned she says, wants 2k to pay for it, I'm going June 3 for 3 weeks to marry and be with her, she claims she can't come here for a year after we marry due to paperwork involved, am I being scammed? She claims poverty, works 12 hr days, has parents married 38...

Bride dress. [ 9 Answers ]

Please my friend is getting married,and I would like you to give me all the sites that are available for a bride dress.Thanks.

What to wear to Caribean wedding for the mother-of-the-bride? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Please help!! My daughter is getting married in the Caribbean next month. What would be appropriate attire? The wedding will be in a gazebo near the beach. 80's degree F temperate. What do ladies wear in the Caribbean islands? I'm a 50's something, average height and size. I've been told...

Not so blushing bride [ 6 Answers ]

I am so over this. I just don't want to get married anymore... I mean, I want to BE married to my man, but just skip the wedding part... My soon-to-be mother-in-law is behaving somewhat oddly... After a phone conversation in which she first instructed me to write wedding invitations in a...

Waiting to be a bride [ 10 Answers ]

I have been with iain for 4 years now... 4 of them he was married for... we finally finalized the divorce... how long should I give him to make a commitment to me... should I wait and give him a breather, or expect a band.

View more questions Search