Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Tab options for FF 2.0
    Just got a new computer and downloaded FF. On my old computer I had NO extensions... and links opened in the same tab by default... which is what I want.

Now they open in a new tab, and the only options I have are to open links in a new window or a new tab.

How can I get links to open in the SAME tab?

I rooted through their extensions and don't find any good Tabbrowser Preferences for 2.0.

Thanks!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 04:37 AM
    Type about:config in your address bar. I'm certain it will be in there. You shoul dbe able to find a website that will tell you what it does.

firefox about:config - Google Search
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 04:38 AM
    Remember that Tabbrowser Preferences caused us that problem with having to use the little green arrow every time we pasted ina URL in the address bar. So Ben came to the rescue with a better tab manager: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1122/
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 16, 2007, 04:41 AM
    NK, thanks for the mention.
    I must admit that I no longer use that extension as it didn't do everything I wanted and used to have with the previus 1.5 extension I used.
    I'm now using 3 different extensions for tabs and it's just about where I want things to be.

Saying all that TMP should server you well.
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 04:42 AM
    The plot thickens: I do remember that extension, but it was giving me some problems in other areas, so the last I had it before I dumped the old computer was with no extensions at all installed... and when I clicked a link (in email for example) the link always opened in the same tab... but now they open in a new tab.

I had never used that about:config option so cannot imagine what's different about FF now, on this computer.

... I will, though, go back and try the above extension since I really can't even remember the reason I uninstalled it to begin with :)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 16, 2007, 04:45 AM
    Rick, be careful directly editing the config as it can cause problems.
    Basically that is what the extension do anyway, but in a user friendly interface.

Have you checked Tools > Options > Tabs to make sure its set correctly ?
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 04:48 AM
    I would not touch that edit config page with a 10 foot pole!

With no extensions installed, the only options at Tools > Options > Tabs is
    1. Open in a new window, or
    2. Open in a new tab.

... I could have sworn that before there was a #3 for Open in the same tab.

I've just installed tab mix plus and will see how things go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guitar Tab to "More To Life" [ 1 Answers ]

Can You help my find Guitar Tab to the song "More To Life" by Stacie Orrico?

Firefox Tab Options [ 14 Answers ]

Dog-gonnit. I too frequently fat finger "close other tabs" when I meant to click "close tab" - or vice versa - since they're right next to each other! Is there any way to change the order of the options shown when I right click on a tab? Thanks!

What are my options? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a B.A. in accounting and business (1996). I currently work for $11 an hour in the medical field processing Medicare/Medicaid claims for a private doctor. I would like to earn more money but am uncertain of the possibilities. Do you have any suggestions? I have considered starting my own...

View more questions Search