Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skgupta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 01:47 AM
    About hiding application icons from notification area of taskbar of Window Xp OS
    I want to hide some application icon from notification area on taskbar permanently( i.e. not retrievable b y hide/unhide properties of Start Menu) which get displayed on starting the XP system but want that application remain active in the background.

Suggest what should I do to achieve this?
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Mar 16, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by skgupta
    I want to hide some application icon from notification area on taskbar permanently( i.e. not retrievable b y hide/unhide properties of Start Menu) which get displayed on starting the XP system but want that application remain active in the background.

Suggest what should I do to achieve this?
    Are the icons appearing in the "quick Start" area of the task bar or are they showing up in the "system Tray" area (the right side)? If you can't turn the icon off on the individual program property screen, you'll have to go to your "run" program (on the start menu) type in "msconfig" and on the "statrup" tab take the checkmark off the program that you want to hide. It won't automatically start at startup and it won't be running in the background but if you add it to your "Quick Start" list (at the bottom left in the task bar) it'll be available to you pretty quick.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 16, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Right click on the taskbar and select properties. In the notification area, check the box "hide inactive icons" Then click customize. In the drop down menu beside the icon you want to hide, you can select "always hide". See if that works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Icons in Taskbar [ 1 Answers ]

I lost all my icons on the task Bar and the little arrow that I use to see the hidden icons. What do I do to get them back?:rolleyes:

Systray (taskbar) icons disappear [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, not all the icons in the systray of my Dell laptop will appear on bootup. Only about 5-7 will show up. I do not have "hide inactive icons" checked in the taskbar and start menu settings either. I have googled this problem and have not found a permanent answer. I did find one tip that...

Hidden Icons & Taskbar [ 6 Answers ]

My students have hidden the taskar and all windows icons. Even when pressing the windows key I cannot see the taskbar. Please help

Hiding programs [ 8 Answers ]

How do I hide a program from the Add/Remove List in XP? Not sure which yet I want to hide, but like say MSN or IE or something similar. How would I reenable them to the list if it is even possible to remove them to start with? Thanks.

Taskbar Icons [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with the taskbar icons on a computer I am working on. They are abnormally small. The rest of the screen looks fine but the icons down in the bottom right hand corner of the screen next to the time and the quick launch toolbar are tiny. The icons are so small that, on the right...

View more questions Search