Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    riddiculous Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 01:39 AM
    Do I need to reformat hard drive if changing cpu?
    Hi...

I am running windows Vista Home Basic.

And I currently have a Pentium 4 531 (3.0 GHZ) and I am thinking of purchasing a Pentium 4 670 (3.8 GHZ)...

And I was wondering if reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Vista is needed?

If so I might as well buy a bigger SATA hard drive.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 01:42 AM
    I don't see why you would need to. Unless it's something new and 'improved' in Vista.

The processor has nothing to do with data storage. It should work just fine, but you might find you'll need to reinstall windows over the top. There should be no need to reformat though.

Mar 16, 2007, 01:50 AM
    Thanks for the response... so are you saying I might have to reinstall windows? If I have to do that, then I might as well reformat... if I'm going to do that I might as well get a bigger hard drive.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 02:00 AM
    Not reinstall, but maybe repair the installation. But PROBABLY NOT. Have a go first!
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 16, 2007, 07:53 AM
    Installing a new cpu will not affect Vista or XP, you do not need to install or reformat. :)

Your main concern is whether your motherboard is compatible with the faster cpu. You'll need to refer to the motheboard users manual.

Mar 16, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Thank you so much for the response!
    Yea, I already checked the MSI's website on the CPU compatibility...

Just waiting for it in the mail!
    Again thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

How to reformat hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I want to re-format my hard drive

Reformat a Dell Win XP HE Hard Drive? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a bit of a problem with a freind's computer, been trying to get it going for well over 2 weeks, but EVERYTHING I have tried seems not to work. :( The computer is a 18 Month old Dell Desktop with Windows XP home Edition installed. It was running frustratingly slow, and Would...

Reformat the hard disk on a laptop PC [ 1 Answers ]

I have reformatted the hard disks on standard PCs. Is it the same for laptops? I am concerned about the battery monitoring systems. Help!?

View more questions Search