Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Terimaclean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2013, 05:24 PM
    15 day notice to move
    We are on an oral month to month lease. We are in the process of purchasing a home and anticipate a January closing. Date is not finalized. Are we responsible fir paying the entire months rent if we give a 15 day notice. Or can we pay for the days we occupied the residence?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2013, 05:32 PM
    Hello T:

Nahh.. You owe the full months rent.. It IS month to month. Not HALF month to HALF month. In fact, you may be liable for another months rent beyond that, because you didn't give 30 day's notice. You gave a half month. But, your agreement is NOT half month to half month. It's a FULL month to a FULL month.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 05:55 PM
    In all likelihood, what Excon said.

But it would be more probable that you would get an accurate answer if you would give us a clue what state or country you are in.

And, by-the-way, a "lease" would be in writing. What you have is a tenancy at will.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2013, 05:56 PM
    My opinion is that you are responsible for a full 30 day notice. For example, if you give notice on January 15th it is legal notice as of February 1st because you are the 1st to the end of the month. You would then owe all of January and all of February, your lease expiring at the end of the legal 30 days, which is February 28.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 06:33 PM
    JudyKayTee, that does not apply in California. There you can give a 30 day notice at any time during the month and you are only responsible for 30 days.

To the OP: We need to know the state where the property is located before we can give you an accurate answer but most likely it is a minimum of 30 days.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 07:09 PM
    Also if you have not given notice, since it is already into January now, you may even owe for Feb also.

In my rentals, you can not give a notice on Jan 5th to move on on 30th, you would have had to give it on the 31 or at least the 1st. For a full month notice, 1st to 1st.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 6, 2013, 01:18 PM
    I echo the other responders. Since you have no written lease, local laws will dictate your rights and obligations. Hopefully you will return to give us your general location.

Since you are on a month to month tenancy, then you are subject to the laws governing such a tenancy. That can range from a 15 day notice prior to the end of the rental period (FL) to a 30 day notice (many states) to 60 days depending on how long you have occupied the premises.

I'm not sure where you got the idea you could just give 15 days notice. However, it is possible you have an understanding and accommodating landlord who will be willing to let you give a 15 day notice. But unless you do, I can't imagine you not being responsible for, at the least, the full month of January.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a landlord move into home before our 30 day notice is up [ 25 Answers ]

We have been given notice and now landlord wants to move in here before our 30 days our up

My landlord gave me a 3 Day Notice To Quit after I had given him a notice to move by [ 17 Answers ]

My landlord gave me a 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quite after I had given him a notice to Vacate by 3/1/10. In the notice I included that my double deposit was to be used for rent. I feel this is very retaliatory as the deposit covers 2 months of rent, which I will be out before the full two months,...

30 Day Notice to move and A 3 Day pay Or Quit [ 14 Answers ]

I submitted a 30 day notice to move on 4-17-2009 to vacate on 5-17-2009. On 5-4-2009 my landlord put a 3 day notice to pay or quit on my door. Is this even legal? And are late fees legal to charge in California?

I want to move out BEFORE my 30 day notice is up. [ 8 Answers ]

My landlord told he will not pro-rate for the time I am actually living hear and instead will pro-rate from the time he finds a new tenant. IS THIS LEGAL? Do I have to pay the whole 30 days even if I'm not living hear? And why is finding a new tenant my problem? If this is illegal, can anyone...

30 day move out notice [ 3 Answers ]

My tenant mailed me a 30 day notice that he was moving out. At the end of 30 days he text messaged me that his "loan" had not gone through and if could just continue paying and go on as before, I agreed. Four days later he left a message on my cell saying that he was leaving a the end of this...

View more questions Search