Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gybus54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2013, 05:08 PM
    Hipaa non-discrimination law
    I live and work for a company in the USA. To help lower health insurance cost the company I work for have introduced wellness programs. Beinning this year, 2013 they will begin biometric testing. If you fall outside 3 of 5 health parameters they assign a health coach. If you fail to show improvement in a year they say they will raise our deductble by $25 and will raise it be this amount each year you fail to improve. IS THIS LEGAL, OR IS THIS HEALTH DISCRIMINATION?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jan 3, 2013, 05:17 PM
    Hmmmm... we know have pedometers to plug in daily. Interesting question.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 3, 2013, 05:55 PM
    Not illegal and nothing to do with a HIPPA violation. A HIPPA violation would only be if the company was a health care provider and they shared health information without the permission of the employee. Companies can test the health of their employees and potential employees. Baring smokers is already a common practice, for example. Do the employees have a union and/or a contract.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 02:27 AM
    A company may discriminate because of health, nothing illegal about it what so ever. Smokers often pay higher for their health insurance,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 4, 2013, 04:32 AM
    Obesity or unhealthy conditions are no a protected class (unless it's a recognized disability). So there is no such thing as health discrimination.

Wellness programs such as you describe are becoming increasing more common to help keep health costs down.

HIPAA doesn't get involved unless the company revealed the results of your biometric testing or the consultations with the health coach to someone you didn't authorize.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has a hippa law been violatlated? Has there been any discrimination [ 10 Answers ]

I was refinancing my home to a lower interest rate. My credit was good and everything else was good appraisel and I met all the requirements. When the finance compamy notified my employer to verify employee status. The pay roll employee told the finance company that I have been employeed for 7...

Hipaa LAw [ 2 Answers ]

What circumstances can personal health information be used for purposes unrelated to health care?

Hipaa Law, Az. [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it violates Hipaa law, in Arizona, for a paramedic/EMT to keep "Run Sheets" at home of patients he/she has treated? Generally these are kept in case law suits arise later or for educational purposes. Thanks.

Hipaa law [ 11 Answers ]

Can a pharmacy give out info on you to law inforcement without you being notified?

View more questions Search