Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whab1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2013, 01:41 PM
    0% on contract for deed
    Is it illegal in MN to sell a house interest free? Was told IRS would consider it intentional avoidance of taxable income!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 3, 2013, 02:46 PM
    I assume you that you asking about providing an interest-free loan to the buyer, correct? It's not illegal, but there indeed are tax consequences. The IRS considers the difference between the market rate interest and the interest actually charged to be either a gift or income in the form of foregone interest. It depends on the nature of the loan (is it a demand loan versus a gift loan). See the section titled "Below-Market Loans" here: Publication 550 (2012), Investment Income and Expenses . Basically if the loan is a mortgage (which is a form of demand loan) then the lender must report the foregone interest as income. The good news is that the borrower can also report the foregone interest as deductible mortgage interest (assuming the terms of the loan meet all the requirements for deductibility).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contract for Deed Seller has not filled contract [ 9 Answers ]

I need to know where we stand, this is very frustrating for us. The proposal was land (Wyoming), and refurbished trailer in the country. We put $2,000 down and went to an escrow company to fill out the paperwork for closing etc. "Contract for Deed" The contract stated we would take possession...

Buyers name on the DEED if I'm selling on Contract for deed [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have to put the buyers name on the DEED if I'm selling on Contract for deed. I don't really want to being that the house is still financed. I 'm understanding that the deed will change when the property is paid off.

Quit Claim Deed/Contract for Deed [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, I have posted before. I had a contract for deed piece of property, and have myself been going back and forth with a lawyer and the client. Trying to make a offer to end this nightmare. I offered them 1000.00 in 10 payments and at the end of that to sign a quitclaim deed or 500.00 and...

View more questions Search