Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Looking4Help458 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2013, 09:13 AM
    Desperate Wife.
    My husband and I have been married 12 yrs. Our marriage is falling apart. I have tried many things to keep his attention and love. He recently had an affair but we continue to work out our marriage. I have asked him to seek counseling, he refuses. I need to make him see we are and can still be magical. I'm a stay home mother, he's a truck driver. How can I reconnect with my husband? How can I make him see I love him as much today as yesterday, without him making me feel like crap?

Thanks, desperate wife.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2013, 09:17 AM
    UGH CHEATING!!

Making you feel like crap? You should be there already (and I am sure you are). You want to save a marriage where he cheats on you? How can you trust him again? And honestly if he refuses to discuss the issues and won't seek help, what hope can you have?

Sorry to be Debbie Downer but you need to put on your reality glasses. You deserve more than what this man is giving you.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2013, 09:48 AM
    The thing is, you are trying to fix what he has broken. You can't do it - he has to do it.

I don't think I could stay in this situation. I could forgive the cheating only if my husband recognized the huge impact of his betrayal on me and our family, and was willing to do what I needed him to do to work through it. If he cheated on me and then refused to help me recover from the betrayal, I think I would have a very hard time respecting him and would find him terribly selfish and immature.

The other factor that I would struggle with would be the truck driving, if he is gone overnights. I would always suspect he was cheating on me during his trips. He frankly probably is. For all you know, the girlfriend could be driving with him.

As for things being "magical" that's unrealistic. Let's face it, you can keep romance alive but you can't make every day as a housewife and truck driver into some fantasy. At some point the relationship needs to move into a comfortable, peaceful, soft place to fall - not all fireworks and flowers. There's a deeper form of love that's not so frantic as all of that. It's based on trust, shared work and values and ambitions and interests.

All you can do without his cooperation is set boundaries for what is acceptable for you in order for you to stay, and you can get counseling without him.
    mark25624 Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2013, 08:08 AM
    Truckers!
    Especially LD Drivers!
    Do have at some truck stops ladies of the day/evening!!
    This is so widely known!

And if he is cheating!
    Then you need to find/figure out what is missing in the relationship.
    Cheating only happens when there is something missing. Look more at the reason it is happening!!
    Not so much on the act itself!!

We all do things for a reason!!

L
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 08:37 AM
    Sometime people cheat because they are creeps. If your husband is a cheater why do you have to prove your love? He is the one who should be making things right with you.

Jan 12, 2013, 08:48 AM
    Please read what I said!!
    It comes from Dr. John gray who said it!!
    Not all men are creeps!!

The opportunity is there!
    And men do go for it!
    Because they know!
    The chance may not come around again!!

This what all men think, feel, believe.

Either seek counceling!
    If he does not want to because men do not want to ever admit they or there is a problem with them, or the relationship!

Men are just built that way!!
    Because either that is how they were brought up!!
    Or! They are lsiening /subscribing to what their friends are saying (they do not know if what they are saying is either fact!! Or!! Fiction).

The long and short of it!!
    Men are like SHEEP!!
    Where 1 goes!!
    The rest will ollow!!

Know your man!!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2013, 09:08 AM
    All men think this way? I don't think so, and I don't like generalizations. Your comments are offensive to "all" men and I don't see that they are helpful.

If one man cheats that does not mean that all me are cheaters. There are men out there, including over the road truckers (which you referred to earlier) who do not cheat, are not tempted, do not meet womenfor sex in parking lots.

There have been numerous articles written about Dr John Gray - he is considered in many circles to be a sideshow act and his PhD is in question. This is akin to quoting Judge Judy on the legal boards.

Maybe you are like a sheep!
    Maybe you go where your friends go!
    Not all men are like that!
    Some men are faithful!
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 09:26 AM
    Read what I said. I did not say all men are creeps. I said some people cheat because they are creeps.
    Not all men cheat and not all truckers have sex in parking lots with women.
    If this man cheated, and does not want to seek help to save his marriage, why is up to her to find out why her husband spreads his stuff around? Why is the onus on her? He broke the vows.

Jan 12, 2013, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    Read what I said. I did not say all men are creeps. I said some people cheat because they are creeps.
    Not all men cheat and not all truckers have sex in parking lots with women.
    If this man cheated, and does not want to seek help to save his marriage, why is up to her to find out why her husband spreads his stuff around? Why is the onus on her? He broke the vows.
    She calls it cheating!
    When spouses cheat.
    There is something missing!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2013, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mark25624 View Post
    She calls it cheating!
    When spouses cheat.

Usually when spouses cheat, what is missing is the maturity and integrity of the cheating party. A mature man or woman of integrity will address the shortcomings or the marriage without breaking their vows. They will understand that marriages have to be worked on.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2013, 10:53 AM
    Mark, your latest response has nothing to do with the conversation up to that point and makes no sense. Homegirl said: "Sometime people cheat because they are creeps .."

Note the use of the word "some."

I disagree with you - not all people cheat because there is a problem in the marriage. Some people have their own issues, independent of the marriage. A cheating spouse does not mean the other spouse is somehow insufficient.

Jan 12, 2013, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    Usually when spouses cheat, what is missing is the maturity and integrity of the cheating party. A mature man or woman of integrity will address the shortcomings or the marriage without breaking their vows. They will understand that marriages have to be worked on.
    For so many years.
    We have looked at the act itself.
    Not the reason behind it.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2013, 11:05 AM
    Who is the "we" in looking at the act, not the cause? Certainly not counselors, therapists, pastors. Certainly not anyone in the legal profession.

Who?

Your use of generalities discredits anything of value which you say.

Jan 12, 2013, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Who is the "we" in looking at the act, not the cause? Certainly not counselors, therapists, pastors. Certainly not anyone in the legal profession.

Who?

Your use of generalities discredits anything of value which you say.
    Whatever.
    Talk to those people and find out for yourself.
    Rather than guess.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2013, 11:12 AM
    Mark, you said "we." I want to know who "we" is. If I knew, then I'd know who to ask. Give me the names of "those people" so I know who to ask.

So - who is the "we" who has never looked into the cause of infidelity and is consumed by the act?
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mark25624 View Post
    She calls it cheating!
    When spouses cheat.
    That is not always the case. There could be something missing or wrong with the person who cheats not with the other person or the marriage.
    There are some people who are just not truthful or faithful. They could have the best spouse in the world but are selfish and see no need to be faithful.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 01:45 PM
    Debating amonst ourselves seems to have hijacked this post so its been closed. Another of many it seems and a growing concern. That's what agree/disagree is for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Really desprate to know [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is in polk,couny Florida jail she turned herself in on a violation it was theift also it was felony case misdaminor probation she violated with a dirty urine and she ran for 2 years sense then she has gotten a family that loves her 3 kids and a fiancé she has not got into any more...

Desprate n needy [ 2 Answers ]

I gain 150 pounds I want to gain 110 what do I have to do to loose 40 pounds...

New and Desprate [ 33 Answers ]

I am a jealous person this I know. This is also a huge reason that my wife and I fight. She says that the harder I try to stay in our relationship the further I push her away. She wants to go out with her friends dancing at clubs and I don't like it. Im not against her going out with friends I...

View more questions Search