Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gm52594 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2013, 02:18 PM
    Question about enemas?
    Hello I have a question. If you were stranded on a boat in the middle of the ocean with no fresh water around except for a few quarts in the bottom of the boat that was contaminated with dirt, urine, maybe a little feces could you give yourself an enema with it to rehydrate without becoming ill? Obviously drinking it would make you sick but would putting the water in your rectum work without making you ill?

Thank you.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 2, 2013, 02:24 PM
    Yes and you could .
    Have a read here: Open Sea Survival - Survivalist Forum
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2013, 03:02 PM
    I'm curious. How is giving yourself an enema, going to rehydrate you? It will do the opposite.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 2, 2013, 03:03 PM
    The theory is that you would absorb the water through your colon.
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2013, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    The theory is that you would absorb the water through your colon.
    But you'd also crap it right back out again.

Diarrhea is one of the main causes of dehydration. An enema basically induces you to crap out everything in your colon, including any fluids. I've had an enema (sorry for the tmi) and frankly, the water isn't in your colon long enough to be absorbed. It's ten minutes and then you're on the porcelain God wishing you'd never ever done it.

Frankly, from the little I know about this, which I admit isn't a lot, I'd think that an enema would make you even more dehydrated.
    Entomology Expert

Jan 2, 2013, 03:15 PM
    I was reading about it and it seems that nobody knows the true answer. On one hand, I suppose if you hold it in, you can probably get some water out of it where if you drank that water, it could induce vomiting. I think it is the lesser of the evils plan.

But how about this... how many survival kits have a way to stick water up your butt safely? I think I would rather take my chances at collecting rain water and such than taking a chance on ripping myself open or giving myself some nasty disease.
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2013, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    I was reading about it and it seems that nobody knows the true answer. On one hand, I suppose if you hold it in, you can probably get some water out of it where if you drank that water, it could induce vomiting. I think it is the lesser of the evils plan.

But how about this....how many survival kits have a way to stick water up your butt safely? I think I would rather take my chances at collecting rain water and such than taking a chance on ripping myself open or giving myself some nasty disease.
    Good point. Unless you have a hose in your boat, good luck getting the feces/urine/dirt water up your a$$.

Drinking your own urine would probably be a better way to go.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 2, 2013, 06:04 PM
    You can get just as sick absorbing bacteria in your rectum as in your stomach.
    Drinking urine makes sense, but this boat scenario is not a good hypothetical. People on a lifeboat are going to collect fresh water and drink it, and pee and defecate over the side, not mix it all in the bottom and then produce an enema bag out of all this.
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2013, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    You can get just as sick absorbing bacteria in your rectum as in your stomach.
    Drinking urine makes sense, but this boat scenario is not a good hypothetical. People on a lifeboat are going to collect fresh water and drink it, and pee and defecate over the side, not mix it all in the bottom and then produce an enema bag out of all this.
    Good point Joy. That and the fact that even if they did defecate and urinate in the boat, there would still be no way to give an enema, unless you had a rubber tube, which isn't likely.

Much better to collect rain water, or drink your urine.
    gm52594 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2013, 08:10 PM
    Well the reason I asked this is because it was recently a real life scenario on a survival show. I'm not for certain the water was contaminated with feces and such but it was dirty water that had been exposed to the environment for some time and was determined to be unsuitable for drinking. They used a rubber line from the broken outboard motor as a tube to insert the water into the rectum. This is why I wanted to know if you would not become ill as it could be a conceivable scenario in a life/death situation. Bottom line would you get sick or not putting it in your rectum if you would get sick from drinking it? Also he decided he needed the dirty water enema as there was no fresh drinking water available and he was very dehydrated and on the verge of suffering a heat stroke.
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2013, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gm52594 View Post
    Well the reason I asked this is because it was recently a real life scenario on a survival show. I'm not for certain the water was contaminated with feces and such but it was dirty water that had been exposed to the environment for some time and was determined to be unsuitable for drinking. They used a rubber line from the broken outboard motor as a tube to insert the water into the rectum. This is why I wanted to know if you would not become ill as it could be a conceivable scenario in a life/death situation. Bottom line would you get sick or not putting it in your rectum if you would get sick from drinking it? Also he decided he needed the dirty water enema as there was no fresh drinking water available and he was very dehydrated and on the verge of suffering a heat stroke.
    If the water was contaminated, then yes, he'd get sick. It doesn't matter which hole it goes into, if it's contaminated and you put it in your body, it will make you sick.

I still question how an enema would hydrate you, since an enema is used to induce your bowels to move, and moving your bowels with an enema takes the solid and liquid matter out of your body, leaving you more dehydrated, not less.

As for the heat stroke, an enema wouldn't help with that. If he was in a boat, he was surrounded by water, simply dousing himself with the cold water (and the water would be cold) would help with the heat stroke.

He'd still be better off drinking his own urine, or collecting rain water. An enema would not have hydrated him.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2013, 09:06 PM
    I agree with the perspective that it could cause diareah and be more dehydrating. It would be very hard to hold water in and it would not rehydrate you. You'd be introducing the bacteria internally into your body, so you'd probably get sick. It would make more sense to find a way to distill the salt water, capture rain water or drink your urine.
    Entomology Expert

Jan 3, 2013, 09:32 AM
    The problem is that I believe this all came about from Bear Grylls who does a "survival" show. What I have seen about him though, tells me that I wouldn't follow his advice too closely. I have seen reports that they film the show and stay in hotels over night rather than brave the wilderness as they lead you to believe. It seems that it is more of a sensational show rather than truly based in reality.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 3, 2013, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gm52594 View Post
    Okay, I see the hose but how did they solve the problem of gravity. Or, what force did they use to push the contaminated water up the rectum, but then again, maybe I don't want to know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my wife get cleansing enemas before her lower gi [ 7 Answers ]

My wife is scheduled for a lower gi. Will she get pre enemas the day of the test

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

Management Accounts Question: Variance Question? [ 0 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I'm having. The Q is as follows; McCauleys Ltd uses a standard costing system and has produced the following production information for the month of June 2010. Standard Actual Sales (units) 10,000 10,000 Sales price per unit £30 £32...

Pregnancy question 14 dpo question about symptoms [ 1 Answers ]

Im 14 days dpo and have been having twinges and fluttering in my uterus. I had sex a couple of days before I ovulated and while I was ovulating. Could I be pregnant?

To submit a question, where is the Question Template to be found? [ 5 Answers ]

When I attempt to print a hard copy from mail received, via my INBOX. The following error template appears... Internet Explorer Script Error Line : 2021 Char : 1 Error : Unspecified Code : 0 URL : ...

View more questions Search