Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nandita56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Dual Status
    Hi:
    I have a question about Dual Status too. I have been an F1 student for the year 2006. However my residency status changed from NR Alien to Resident Alien in July 2006. Would I have to file for a dual status under the circumstances? Also, is it possible to file jointly with my husband if we both file dual status?
    Thanks
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 15, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandita56
    Hi:
    I have a question about Dual Status too. I have been an F1 student for the year 2006. However my residency status changed from NR Alien to Resident Alien in July 2006. Would I have to file for a dual status under the circumstances? Also, is it possible to file jointly with my husband if we both file dual status?
    Thanks
    I'm not sure that you really did change to Resident status. Do you mean that you became H1-B or do you mean that you acquired a green card etc?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 09:48 PM
    TaxSearcher has it right! We need MORE information of your circumstance before rendering advice!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Status Again [ 1 Answers ]

I was a Indian Citizen and here are my status for last 5 years F1: Sep 2002 to Aug 2005 (single) OPT: 6th Sep 2005 - 5th Sep 2006 (married Dec 2005) H1B: 1st Oct 2006 - 31st Dec 2006 (married) I was assuming I would be filing my tax as a dual status for this year, but while reading the...

OPT to H1 status (dual-status?) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This question has been asked a few times already, but I want to confirm. I have been in the US on F-1 since 2003. I was working on OPT from June 2005 to Feb 2006, and on H-1 from Mar 2006 onwards. Should I file as a resident or dual-status? Based on the previous answers, it seems like I...

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

A dual status? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi guys, I know there are lots of message about dual status on this site. However, I'm still confused by if I'm dual status. Could someone help me according to my situation? 6/2000 entered the States Sep 2004 to July 4, 2005 on OPT July 5,2005 on H1B status Re-entered the States on Oct 2005...

Dual Status [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a H1-B with my present company valid from 20th October 2005. Before that I was working on OPT (F-1 visa) from June 30th 2005-19th Oct 2005. I am an Indian citizen. Which form do I use for filing my taxes?

View more questions Search