Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    despicableme Posts: 145, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2013, 04:47 PM
    How can I get a job with nothing to put on resume and poor interviewing skills?
    Little volunteer work, poor interview skills, no job experience, poor communication skills, scared to call people, not outgoing or happy person, no skills, or qualification, at all. Not even qualified to clean floors, wash dishes, or any fast food joint. So what do I do now? I'm willing to do anything besides sales or call centers, or being a server or hostess. I'm too fat for those jobs.

So I need help with making a resume and with interviewing skills.

I can't go to college right so the out of the question.
    I can't go to the military because I am too obese.
    I have some volunteer experience but apparently that doesn't count.
    I'm out of high school and during that time I was depressed and didn't do squat.
    Temp services says their nothing for me all the time.
    I don't have a drivers license.
    Currently going to a job center but no luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2013, 04:50 PM
    There are job centers that will help you with interview skills and resume prep. Check your local dept of labor for referrals.

Jan 1, 2013, 04:52 PM
    Hmm. All right
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 07:55 PM
    Do you live near a public library, or can get to one on public transportation? If so, apply to be a page (book shelver). It's an interesting job, will keep you moving, and will get your foot in the door for other jobs there.

Jan 1, 2013, 07:59 PM
    Do I check in person or online? Because I see no postings for a book shelver.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 08:05 PM
    You go in person, go to the front desk, ask for an application, fill it out there (if you have all your information), and note in the top right corner you want to shelve books, then with a cheery smile, hand it back to the circulation clerk. Even if there is no opening, the turnover is probably rather good as the pages go on to find other jobs, so you may have to wait a few months, but at least you are on their list. Apply at other libraries in the area too.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 08:06 PM
    Honestly, you better start changing your ways if you want to make it out in the real world...

I cannot think of ANY jobs that you would feel comfortable with.

Jan 1, 2013, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You go in person, go to the front desk, ask for an application, fill it out there (if you have all your information), and note in the top right corner you want to shelve books, then with a cheery smile, hand it back to the circulation clerk. Even if there is no opening, the turnover is probably rather good as the pages go on to find other jobs, so you may have to wait a few months, but at least you are on their list. Apply at other libraries in the area too.
    Ok thank you I'll try that tomorrow and post back here.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 10:47 PM
    Yes, let me know how it goes.

What do you consider "poor interview skills"?

Jan 1, 2013, 10:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma1999 View Post
    Honestly, you better start changing your ways if you want to make it out in the real world...

I cannot think of ANY jobs that you would feel comfortable with.
    What do you mean by that?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 10:50 PM
    I have a quick test for you for shelving books.

Jan 1, 2013, 10:52 PM
    Yes, let me know how it goes.

What do you consider "poor interview skills"?
    Well according to the this one interview I was on a long time ago I was too nervous and kept squirming, couldn't look him in the eye couldn't answer the questions correctly, would either give too short of an answer or take to long to answer, or be too negative about myself. Stuff like that.

Jan 1, 2013, 10:52 PM
    I have a quick test for you for shelving books.
    Huh? What is that?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 10:53 PM
    Are you male or female (can't tell so far) and how old?

Jan 1, 2013, 10:54 PM
    Sorry, Wonder girl. I am female and 20 years old.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 10:54 PM
    In order to shelve books, you have to know your ABCs and how to put numbers in order. I'll give you a quickie test.

Jan 1, 2013, 10:57 PM
    If that's all I have know.. I think I might fail since I have trouble with those.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 11:01 PM
    Let's give it a try.

Fiction authors (including mystery, science fiction, fantasy, and western authors) are shelved by their last name. Put these three mystery authors in order like they would be on the shelf:

Sue Grafton
    Janet Evanovich
    Lilian Jackson Braun
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2013, 11:03 PM
    First you need to seek out some help. Your local unemployment office will offer classes (for free) and other assistance to figure out how to write a resume even if you have little to put on it, and can teach and coach you in interviewing skills. You need to take the initiative to solve these problems and remove these obstacles. You might not become great at interviewing but not every job is suitable for outgoing people. You just need to be a competent interview subject, and find work that's fitting to your personality.

Second, you might need to fake it a bit. I would never hire someone who described themselves the way you do, such as "I'm not a happy person". You will have to smile, be friendly and approachable and put your best foot forward and put these negative thoughts about yourself out of your head. You need some successes and the happiness will come, and for work at least, you'll have to fake your happiness in the interim.

You may need help identifying potential careers and for this I would recommend you contact your local community college. They often do testing for free or very low cost, particularly if you cannot afford it, to help people determine what they are meant to do in life. They can also talk through your concerns with you, tell you about available training programs and career ideas and so on, and help you formulate a goal for yourself.

It seems like a lot of your negative energy focuses on your weight, which you describe as a real obstacle to a lot of work ideas you've come up with on your own. Perhaps you need some help to get to a weight with which you can be more comfortable. That might be what you really need to do, not to be acceptable to an employer (they do hire people who are overweight - most adults are heavy these days and most have jobs) - you might need to loose weight to be acceptable to yourself. You may view your weight challenges as a personal failure, and may need to learn to be more positive about everything in your life so you don't make yourself feel so badly that you escape to food.

So yeah - call your local unemployment office and schedule yourself for a class or one on one help with your resume and interviewing skills. Call your local high school or community college and find out about career counseling and testing for possible areas of interest and careers that would suit your personality. Look into resources for sensible weight loss and set a small goal for yourself - like 10 pounds - so you can start having successes in your life and change that negative tape playing in your head to something positive and affirming.

Just because you haven't done a lot professionally doesn't mean you can't in the future. You can learn and be trained and develop experience and tear down these obstructions in your life little by little.

Best wishes to you.

Jan 1, 2013, 11:03 PM
    Braun J. L.
    Evanovich J.
    Grafton S.

Uhh is that correcnt?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

No job experience, what to put on a resume? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm filling out an application and they're asking me my employment history. I've never heard a job before but I do have some volunteer experience from high school to college and have been a part of some clubs. The ones I want to out down, I remember the names, but not the numbers and I haven't...

I have a Master's and I am interviewing for a Bachelor's level research job. [ 0 Answers ]

The pay is pretty low, but on a range. Can I expect to get paid more than the minimum due to my degree? It's at a major hospital I worked at as a student and I do have some research experience.

I was not given a job description until I was written up for poor job performance. [ 4 Answers ]

When I was hired as a manager but I was not given a job description until I was written up for poor job performance. I was demoted with a $5.50 per hour pay cut and transferred to another job site as a receptionist clerk. I was terminated 3 days ago without any notice given and have yet to receive...

Interviewing for a management position at my current job [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, So, I have an interview tomorrow morning for a supervisor position at work. I'm a caregiver, and I'd be supervising 4 other people. I've been employed with this company for 4 months, but as a caregiver for 2 years. Can people help me prepare for the interview? I've never...

View more questions Search