Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 11:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by despicableme View Post
    Braun J. L.
    Evanovich J.
    Grafton S.

uhh is that correcnt?
    Yup! Perfect!

Was that easy enough for you? Want to try a harder set?
    despicableme Posts: 145, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2013, 11:10 PM
    Sure. Though I feel like a complete idiot.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 11:11 PM
    Why like a complete idiot? This is usually the quickie type test a library book shelver prospect takes.

Jan 1, 2013, 11:14 PM
    Because I know I can do something like be a book shelver I don't feel confident I will get it at all. That's why.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2013, 11:16 PM
    What do you mean by that?
    I think what's meant is that you portray yourself in an entirely negative manner. You need a different list - all the good things about yourself, what your interests are, what your hobbies are, what you enjoy doing for fun, what particular talents and skills you have.

For example, you're comfortable using a computer and blogging, using the internet. That's a transferable skill that could be used in a job. Maybe you like animals - perhaps you would be a good receptionist at an animal shelter. Maybe you like kids and could be an office worker for a school or a classroom aide for a teacher. Maybe you like books and could do the suggested library job, while you also go to school for a degree in library science and become a librarian - a high pay, great job. Perhaps you could work in a call center and take orders for a catalog company, or schedule repairs for your utility company. Maybe you love gadgets and technology and could get a job for a call center, helping people on the phone to set up their new phones or computer software (a lot of companies train the entry level people to take care of basic questions and if it needs more expertise, you escalate the call to a more skilled person).

Think about all the good things about you and if you can't think of anything, ask someone who likes you more than you like yourself and take them seriously.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 11:17 PM
    Here are three science fiction authors to put in shelf order -

Ben Bova
    T. J. Bass
    Iain Banks

Jan 1, 2013, 11:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    I think what's meant is that you portray yourself in an entirely negative manner and your negativity will be a barrier to your success. People don't want a "downer" in their office, making everyone else feel lousy. You don't have to feel happy but you sure have to fake it well and find a positive way to talk about yourself. For example, even in asking for our help, a more positive manner might have been:

"I am looking for my first job and will appreciate your help. I am naturally shy and have some anxiety about interviewing, and because this is my first job, I do not know how to draft a good resume. Some obstacles I need to work around are physical limitations due to obesity, and a lack of specific skill training." But then move on and talk about what's good, such as

"I am very eager to be self
    *sigh* You're right I'm sorry. I just can't help to be negative. It just spills out of my mouth especially when it comes to talking about myself.

Jan 1, 2013, 11:21 PM
    Banks Iain
    Bass T.J.
    Bova Ben
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 11:22 PM
    You're on a roll! Want to do some decimals?

Jan 1, 2013, 11:23 PM
    Oh gawd, not math I am horrible with math but I'll try I suppose
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 11:24 PM
    Oh gawd, not math I am horrible with math but I'll try I suppose
    No, no, no. What did dontknownuthin just help you with in being positive? What is a better way to say that?

Jan 1, 2013, 11:27 PM
    I don't know. What was wrong with that? I don't see it as negative its true.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 11:29 PM
    I don't know. What was wrong with that? I don't see it as negative its true.
    Spin it to the positive. You're doing well so far with my quickie test, so spin how you react to my testing you on decimals.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2013, 11:36 PM
    You need to totally change the tape in your head about who you are, dear. Try writing an entirely positive description of yourself.

No more talking about feeling stupid, etc. Why would you feel stupid about taking a quick quiz to find out if you're competent for a job? You did perfectly well on it so instead of feeling stupid, view it as proof that you aren't unskilled. You know how to do a lot of things but you are undervaluing yourself.

Jan 1, 2013, 11:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    I think what's meant is that you portray yourself in an entirely negative manner. You need a different list - all the good things about yourself, what your interests are, what your hobbies are, what you enjoy doing for fun, what particular talents and skills you have.

For example, you're comfortable using a computer and blogging, using the internet. That's a transferable skill that could be used in a job. Maybe you like animals - perhaps you would be a good receptionist at an animal shelter. Maybe you like kids and could be an office worker for a school or a classroom aide for a teacher. Maybe you like books and could do the suggested library job, while you also go to school for a degree in library science and become a librarian - a high pay, great job. Perhaps you could work in a call center and take orders for a catalog company, or schedule repairs for your utility company. Maybe you love gadgets and technology and could get a job for a call center, helping people on the phone to set up their new phones or computer software (a lot of companies train the entry level people to take care of basic questions and if it needs more expertise, you escalate the call to a more skilled person).

Think about all the good things about you and if you can't think of anything, ask someone who likes you more than you like yourself and take them seriously.
    Uhh, OK. Those are pretty decent but don't think I can make it in a call center or being around kids. In school people said I should be a library because I used to read so much but I stopped reading a long time ago and never started back.
    As for hobbies, interests, talents, or skills I don't really know. How can I make a list with good things about myself when that so hard? Talking positive about me seems so strange and makes me cringe its frekain embarrassing.

Jan 1, 2013, 11:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Spin it to the positive. You're doing well so far with my quickie test, so spin how you react to my testing you on decimals.
    Uhh.. how about I haven't been practicing with decimals as much as I should so I might have trouble with it? Is that better?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 11:41 PM
    Uhh, ok. Those are pretty decent but don't think I can make it in a call center or being around kids. In school people said i should be a library because I used to read so much but I stopped reading a long time ago and never started back.
    We're trying to help you feel confident about working in a library shelving books. My list about your good points is growing. :)

Ready for the decimal quiz?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 11:47 PM
    Fiction is shelved by author's last name. Non-fiction is shelved by decimals (the Dewey Decimal Classification system, meaning 000-999) plus the author's last name. Put these decimals in numerical order --

Jan 1, 2013, 11:50 PM
    Like that? Numerical order from 000-999?

Jan 1, 2013, 11:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    We're trying to help you feel confident about working in a library shelving books. My list about your good points is growing. :)

Ready for the decimal quiz?
    Oh I'm sorry my bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

No job experience, what to put on a resume? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm filling out an application and they're asking me my employment history. I've never heard a job before but I do have some volunteer experience from high school to college and have been a part of some clubs. The ones I want to out down, I remember the names, but not the numbers and I haven't...

I have a Master's and I am interviewing for a Bachelor's level research job. [ 0 Answers ]

The pay is pretty low, but on a range. Can I expect to get paid more than the minimum due to my degree? It's at a major hospital I worked at as a student and I do have some research experience.

I was not given a job description until I was written up for poor job performance. [ 4 Answers ]

When I was hired as a manager but I was not given a job description until I was written up for poor job performance. I was demoted with a $5.50 per hour pay cut and transferred to another job site as a receptionist clerk. I was terminated 3 days ago without any notice given and have yet to receive...

Interviewing for a management position at my current job [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, So, I have an interview tomorrow morning for a supervisor position at work. I'm a caregiver, and I'd be supervising 4 other people. I've been employed with this company for 4 months, but as a caregiver for 2 years. Can people help me prepare for the interview? I've never...

View more questions Search