Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rkks1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2012, 10:06 PM
    Attorney fees
    I bought a truck in June of 2011. The dealership closed and I didn't get my title. I sued them and won by taking a newer truck with a title. Can I now sue for my attorney fees? $1500 is what I paid for the attorney. After waiting a year and six months with no truck to drive. I ask my attorney to ask for the fees but she said the judge wold just turn it down. So can I sue in small claims for these fees?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 31, 2012, 10:26 PM
    Was the outcome part of the settlement agreement you reached in court ? If so then you have closure. You can't go back.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 02:01 AM
    No, the request for fees would have had to be included in the law suit where you were suing for damages.

You should have required your attorney to ask for them. So the judge turns it down, you ask.

Sorry, you lost your chance to sue for fees when you did not ask for them at the court where it happened.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2013, 07:12 AM
    Did you sue in small claims court? Many such courts don't allow attorneys so that's why the attorney may have felt he couldn't ask.

I'm gathering you didn't get a cash award. If the dealership was closed there may have been no cash to ask for.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 2, 2013, 08:31 AM
    In most states, a prevailing party is not entilted to an award of his or her attorney fees, small claims or not (absent a contract specifically providing for it).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my H1B Legal/attorney Fees and Government process fees. If yes, I have to [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim my H1B Legal/attorney Fees and Government process fees. If yes, I have to travel out side the USA to stamp the visa, Is the travel expenses (Air Ticket, Hotel, application fees0 are deductible as well? Please let me know.

Attorney fees [ 9 Answers ]

My 17yo son got caught shoplifting... this was his first time in any type of trouble like this. He was charged as an adult in court and managed to get it reduced to littering. He has a court fine of about $350 that he is saving up to pay off. The attorney's for the store have come after my wife...

USMLE fees, h1b attorney fees [ 4 Answers ]

I am on a H1b visa in the US... my wife is a physician who is writing USMLE exams to get a residency in US... I was wondering if I can deduct all the usmle exam fees + costs of applying to residency programs (close to $5000) as expenses on my taxes? I also paid for the attorney fees to get my...

Power of attorney FEES [ 5 Answers ]

I have been appointed power of attorney over my aunt and uncle although I feel awkward I feel I should be compensated somehow for my time and travel expenses I had all the medical needs etc I amsearching for an assisted living home for them and all the red tape. We are 230 miles apart so its a lot...

Attorney fees [ 4 Answers ]

My boss is going through a divorce which he was court ordered to pay attorney fees to his wife's lawyer. In the paperwork he was told to pay the amount even if he had to borrow the money. He was unable to get a loan, and was not able to get the amount in cash advances on his credit cards. He...

View more questions Search