Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kirktolliver Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Windows 2000 Server
    I Just recently installed windows 2000 server on a computer that ran windows xp fine. When I installed it I can't change the Vga default to display more colors. I need at least 256 colors to run Oracle 10G software for this server. %Help%:confused:
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 15, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Have you installed video card drivers? That's your only way to change resolution and color depth.

Mar 15, 2007, 06:37 PM
    I'm trying to. I downloaded the driver and extracted all the content on my xp computer into one folder named VGA, but when I try to install it on my Win 2000 and open to folder there's nothing in it. I tought that there would have been some sort of file compression issues or something but I am now more confused.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Mar 15, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Have you tried using Windows Update? It will usually have generic drivers that will be usable for a server. Open up the properties for the display adapter, select the 'driver' tab, and update... it will ask if you want to try to search for the driver, including on Windows Update. Tell it yes, and it may find something usable.

Mar 15, 2007, 06:55 PM
    There's one problem with that I'm going through the same problem with the Nic card.

Mar 15, 2007, 07:01 PM
    What video card are you using?

Did you open the "VGA" folder and found no files? Or did you direct W2K to that folder when it asked to install driver?

When Windows ask for the driver location, it is expecting a .inf file, otherwise it will show a blank directory.

If you browse to the VGA folder, I bet you'll find a "Setup.exe" or something similar. Run the .exe file, and it will install the drivers. Reboot, and Windows should automatically find the driver and install them. :)

Mar 15, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kirktolliver
    There's one problem with that i'm going through the same problem with the Nic card.
    Same thing as with the video card driver, once its downloaded.

Edit: On a second read, I see, no internet access. In this case you will need the driver disk or CD that came with the NIC or the motherboard CD if its an onboard network interface.

Mar 15, 2007, 07:18 PM
    When I go through the procedure you just metioned, upon reboot there is an error that at least one of the drivers has failed. Wait I just received a stop error 0x000000B4. Maybe it is a resource issue.

Mar 15, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Stop 0x000000B4 the video driver failed to inialize

Mar 15, 2007, 07:29 PM
    About the NIC, since you are online right now, use it download all the latest drivers for your hardware, and put it on a flash key or removable media. This way you will always have the drivers handy.

Also, what video card are you using?

That stop error is related to the video card driver. You can check here for that stop error and see if there is a solution.

Mar 15, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Ok, good news. I think I found your solution here. Straight from Microsoft.

Mar 15, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Stop error 0x000000B4 pervents me from booting

Mar 16, 2007, 07:15 AM
    You mean from getting past the BIOS screen?

To get into safe mode, you need to Press F8 quickly just before the Windows loading screen appears. This will bring up a menu and allow you to select safe mode. That MS link I provided gives you all the steps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disable F8 key in windows 2000 server [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I want to disable F8 key in wimdows 2000 server or denie acess to all users to go to safe mode except administrator can I get the sollution for this question

Windows 2000 Server Blue Screen [ 3 Answers ]

My current server is stuck at a "blue screen" during bootup. There are no error messages just a blue screen. All of my connected workstations can still access the network drives. However I cannot access any programs on the server directly or via VPN. I can still open a VPN to the server and...

Downgrade windows 2003 server to windows 2000 server procedure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. Recently I planned to buy a server with windows 2k server OS. Unfortunately I was told that win 2k server will be no longer in support at 2007.:confused: What happen is that the application I need to run is under win 2k server only, can anyone advise me how to perform the downgrade...

Install windows 2000 server [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I want to install windows 2000 server on a computer but on this computer was installed windows xp. I don't know to delet windows xp without format harddisk and install windows 2000 server. Plese help me

Map home drive on a Mac environment from WIndows 2000 Server [ 0 Answers ]

Hopefully some one can help me I am using WIndows 2000 Server and have created user accounts on active directory. The lab which the user are going to access this server are using emacs running OS 10.2 & 10.3. I am trying to give user a home directory in which they can save work. -I need a...

View more questions Search