Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inmuchpain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2012, 12:49 AM
    How long does a narcotic stay in your system?
    I am prescribed oxycodone 5's . I have what doctors call chronic pain. Fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease, bulged & herniated discs and arthritis. I was told to take 4xs a day as needed. There was a few nights I had woke in severe pain 10 plus. I had signed a pain contract. When I went for my follow up, I had told the doctor I had ran out early. He UA'd me. And sent me a letter saying I can no longer be treated in anyone of the doctors offices in my area because I failed the drug test.

I do not take any other drugs but what I am prescribed, so I am very confused as to how I would "fail" a drug test. I'm now in MUCH pain, for not just my normal chronic pain, but now withdrawing from not having any medicine and not knowing where to turn for help.

How long does this medicine stay in your system, since I did take an extra pill during the night since the weather has changed pain is worse. Is it possible for that pain medication to not show if I ran out before my next refill? If so, is there a way to argue that point that I had told the doctor before he UA'd me, that I ran out early?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2012, 06:33 AM
    My guess was you tested as taking too much,but this is question for doctor who did test
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 27, 2012, 09:16 PM
    I can only sugget a second opinion from an entirely different doctor. Also this pain contract is puzzling.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
    I'm confused. So you had a prescribed amount, but you didn't stick to the recommended dosage of 4 pills a day, so you ran out early, even though you were given enough pills to last between prescriptions?

What UAD? This is an international site, not everyone, myself for one, is from the US. Please explain what UAD is.

Sounds like your doctor is worried because you took more than your prescribed amount. Oxy is a highly addictive drug. Taking more than your prescribed amount is a sign that you're no longer taking it merely for pain, but because of addiction.

Is that what's going on?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 27, 2012, 09:55 PM
    Alty, UA 'd means the OP had a urine analysis and a drug screen was performed at that time.

To the OP you doctor is held accountable if he/she continues to prescribe addictive medication when your UA tells him/her that you are out of range. Whether it be too much in your urine or not enough.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2012, 10:40 PM
    And normally they will not stop giving you medication on the first time you use too much.
    They also look to see if you are using other drugs not prescribed. The contract is where the patient agrees to certain treatment, and not to abuse the drugs, and that if they use too much of the drug, treatment can be withdrawn
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 28, 2012, 11:08 AM
    There are many non addictive pain killers to be prescribed and why this doctor has not done so would lead me to seek a better doctor, unless there is something that we don't know.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2012, 01:46 PM
    Can you not go back to your Doctor,explain that the pain was so severe, that you had to take another pill to relieve it, which would then be more than was perscribed, only when the pain was 10+,1 extra tablet was needed.

I know you say you have already told the Doctor but I think you need to go and explain more clearly... obviously you need something for pain so you will need to speak to him asap.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2012, 09:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan View Post
    Can you not go back to your Doctor,explain that the pain was so severe, that you had to take another pill to relieve it, which would then be more than was perscribed, only when the pain was 10+,1 extra tablet was needed.

I know you say you have already told the Doctor but i think you need to go and explain more clearly.......obviously you need something for pain so you will need to speak to him asap.
    Because that's the same lame excuse every person addicted to Oxycodone uses. And it doesn't fly and that's why. They have EVERY right in the world to #1 suspect abuse or #2 suspect its being sold on the street... THATS why the testing... and why they did what they did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long does hydrocodone stay in your system? [ 0 Answers ]

I have to take a pee test in within the next few days. I have been taking hydrocodone 10s and 7.5s every day for the last week and methadone 10s... how long will it stay in my system and will it show in a pee test?

How long does lortab stay in the system? [ 2 Answers ]

How long does lortab stay in a woman's system?

How Long Do Narcotic Medications Stay In Your System? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know about how long do narcotic medications such as Perkacet or Loritabs stay in your system after use?? Does it depend on the amount taken?? :confused:

View more questions Search