Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LJDK Posts: 281, Reputation: 25

Dec 26, 2012, 11:45 PM
    Downward spiral after divorce
    Hi.

I need advise. Wife cheated. Busy with divorce process. We tried fixing our marriage but she insisted she rather wants to be "left independent" while I must sit and wait until she is ready.

So I cut all ties. It took 5 months before no contact. During those 5 months I was OK. But now? Now I'm broken. I stopped exercising. My last friend got married to a crazy girl who told him he is not allowed to see me anymore.

So I don't have friends left. All I did for the last two weeks was drink, drugs and tried escaping from this reality. I stopped the drugs and drinking knowing it won't fix anything. But I'm overwhelmed. I can't stop crying. Even at work. I can't be around people. Im withdrawing. I have been here in this very position previously. Completely broken.

It took me 7 years to get over it. I am 30 years old. I can't spend another 7 years like this. I wasted enough time. But I can't get out of this hole. Im being dragged down. I have no control. No one to pick me up, help me out of this abyss of sorrow. I am quickly running out of options.

Overwhelmed by the notion of having to start over. Make new friends. Find a new GF / Wife. Everything was starting to come together in my life and in a flash everything just went back to square one.

Im losing myself,hope and fear. Right now there really is nothing left here for me. Nothing. I know I will get through it, well actually I just keep telling myself that. But to sit and be alone the whole time, no one to chill with, no one to relate with. Im not so sure anymore.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 27, 2012, 04:20 AM
    Tell us more about yourself, not her or anyone else. What are you like, who are you, your interests and work and how you grew up and what you do when you are OK?

Dec 27, 2012, 04:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Tell us more about yourself, not her or anyone else. What are you like, who are you, your interests and work and how you grew up and what you do when you are OK?
    I went through tough times. Drug addiction, lost friends as in they died etc. took 7 years to get out. Got married. Life was good. Struggled with wife to get off drugs again. Got off. She left.

Friends moved. When life was good I hiked, spent most time outdoors. Exercised a lot. Worked on my own project. Was building a game. When she left I stopped everything. Started seeing other girls. Realized I want my wife. Begged her to come back. She did, on and off. Treated me like crap. So I cut ties. Spent the past 4 days doing drugs and nothing else. Crying.

I am starting exercising again today. I have to study as well. But I can't stop thinking about her. The last thing she said in person was "im doing this guy that has a massive dck"

So I left. But she phoned me on christmas. I told her don't contact me and hung up the phone.

I don't know. I love the outdoors and being fit and in shape. Despite that I keep finding myself want drugs, something to take this pain away but not even that is helping. Hence I'm going to start exercise again and pray that by some miracle I get to make new friends again. Somewhere. Somehow
    current pert

Dec 27, 2012, 05:12 AM
    I think it's a good sign that you hung up on her, Christmas or not.
    What's the game you are building?
    What drugs? Can you limit them to smoking a little pot?

Dec 27, 2012, 05:23 AM
    I was using kat. Well it's a local name. Think its called methakathonine. It sucks. I can't smoke pot. It makes me paranoid.

I was building a game on PC, third person adventure game.

Now I'm considering starting at my childhood roots. Skateboarding again. Just scary going out, a 30 year old dude who can't skate / kids are going to mock me.
    current pert

Dec 27, 2012, 05:37 AM
    'Adventure' game to me means old fashioned text adventure a la Zork. Is that what you are working on?
    Just laugh or say hey leave an old man alone if kids razz you.
    Did meth make you unlikable? Is that why your wife cheated? Or did you just do it after you broke up?

Dec 27, 2012, 06:16 AM
    Actually she was addicted to the drugs. I got addicted with her. It made me more sociable, likeable. You see... I hate nightclubs. I hate the robotic people. Drunks. She loved it. The drugs helped me "enjoy" the nightclubs a little more. Soon it became our thing. Do drugs, party. Its once I got her off the drugs and myself that crap hit the fan.

She told me, she cheated because she was high the entire time and when she sobered up she realized she didn't want to be married yet, and cheating was easier then telling me she wants a divorce. So she cheated so I would leave her. Oh yes she also said the only reason she married me, is because she just wanted to have her day in a wedding dress. But didn't really want the marriage part.

I believe her cause a few weeks ago she asked me to make her pregnant, she wants to have a baby, but she doesn't want the baby. I have to raise it alone. Lol.

The adventure game, is a third person game where you assume the role of the last remaining dragon. You have to survive the onslaught of villagers etc. It was nearing the 50% completion mark. Now it's a dead dream.

Fact is, she just isn't the person for me. She is a typical new age person believing its one life, be selfish, care for no one but yourself.

I sacrificed friends for her. I changed my life style. I changed my entire life to accommodate her. But you know. I wanted to. Now I'm stuck alone. And she refused to make any changes, in fact she insisted her friends mean more than me.

So we learn.
    current pert

Dec 27, 2012, 07:13 AM
    Odd relationship, an outdoorsy guy and a drug using clubber.
    Join the AMC or Sierra Club or local group, whatever is around you. The AT goes right by where I live, and there are lots of rivers. I'm not athletic at all but have friends who are very active and they meet all kinds of good people.

Dec 28, 2012, 04:00 AM
    Yip we were an odd couple. I loved every moment. Im joining a climbing and a trail running group. Already met 2 new people yesterday skateboarding.

There is hope after all. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2012, 04:27 AM
    Yes, get back into life. In my 30's, I white water rafted, was out roller skating with the teen agers, the issue is, you don't think or worry about what others think,

Dec 28, 2012, 04:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Yes, get back into life. In my 30's, I white water rafted, was out roller skating with the teen agers, the issue is, you don't think or worry about what others think,
    Agreed. Hopefully the young kids can remind me life is to be enjoyed. Why I love skating. No concern if financial issues, family or friends. Just you and your board
    sickofcity97 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2013, 03:06 AM
    Join a gym, try to meet someone the exact opposite of where u think u should.. and be happy you're rid of someone like that she sounds retched
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2013, 08:33 AM
    "I have no control." - Bull crappies. You are choosing to have no control. You do have it and can use it, but you would have to want to be in control before you can use it.

You are overwhelmed by having no friends, no gf/wife, nothing to do, etc. Well you need to find these things and you need to find them now. Otherwise you will be doomed. - - - Does that make any sense? I hope not. Take the pressure off yourself. You don't need to have a wife this second, or a girlfriend, or a best friend. Let those things naturally happen and they will happen.

You need to take control and part of taking control is deciding to have a good day from the second you get up. I agree with what others have said. Join a gym, join a club, get back into sports, join a bowling league, etc. If you don't do these things, you are choosing to not have control and choosing for your life not to be better.

Second thing is to learn from this. Even if you have the best next girlfriend or wife, you both need friends of your own. Spending time with the same person all the time is not healthy.

Others have survived this and you will to. But you can do it the hard way or the easy way. It is totally in your control. I wish you the best of luck.

Jan 2, 2013, 11:49 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. Oliver2011, I did join a running club. :)
    New years was crap. I ended up partying until 6am and realized I'm over this. Over the party party generation.

Also, I paid and booked my exams upfront, so I'm studying. I also entered myself into plenty races through the year and paid all those upfront too!

Now I don't have a choice. There no refunds. Im training and studying. I visited an old friend last night, someone I actually met through my ex wife. It did me good. They are cool people. I respect that they don't chose sides in the matter. They were kind enough to tell me how many of my previous friends she has been sleeping with. Almost made it her mission to go and sleep with anyone I was acquainted to.

It gave me peace. I realized there and then, she isn't worth all this heart ache, she isn't worth losing control of my life. The wheel turns.

Im just going to focus on fitness and studying, and also on becoming a more likeable person. By that I mean, try and not say what's on my mind. Lol
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2013, 05:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LJDK View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Oliver2011, i did join a running club. :)
    New years was crap. I ended up partying until 6am and realized im over this. Over the party party generation.

Also, i paid and booked my exams upfront, so im studying. I also entered myself into plenty races through the year and paid all those upfront too!

Now i dont have a choice. There no refunds. Im training and studying. I visited an old friend last night, someone i actually met through my ex wife. It did me good. They are cool people. I respect that they dont chose sides in the matter. They were kind enough to tell me how many of my previous friends she has been sleeping with. Almost made it her mission to go and sleep with anyone i was acquainted to.

It gave me peace. I realized there and then, she isnt worth all this heart ache, she isnt worth losing control of my life. The wheel turns.

Im just going to focus on fitness and studying, and also on becoming a more likeable person. By that i mean, try and not say whats on my mind. lol
    "New years was crap." - So what. Today is January 3rd. That was two days ago. Leave it behind and stop focusing on the negatives. My New Year's Eve turned out HORRIBLE because of one of my friends and you know what - I don't care.

"I did join a running club." Fantastic. Finally a step forward. And I admire the people who do a running club. I run but only after I play tennis or racquetball and no more than 3 miles.

You are very welcome for the feedback. Too many times when something not so great happens to us we start focusing on the negatives in our life. Just remember you control whether you have a good day or bad day. If someone is mean to you, you control how you react to that. Given the choice of having a good or bad day, why not choose to have a good day every day? Think about it - it works!

Jan 15, 2013, 05:00 AM
    Truth be told, I am regretting my rash decisions in my moment of sorrow. I joined the adventure racing club too, paid for my exams, paid for races.

Im so tired. All I do is work, get home, run, cycle, gym, study.
    I don't think a lot about my ex wife anymore. I did see her with her new boyfriend in a fancy expensive car. Strangely I laughed and smiled. It gave me some peace.
    Even though some nights I still cry a little and miss her dearly.

But damn I'm tired. Going from a chill I'm married and comfortable life... to a damn I'm training and studying my arse off life is a huge adjustment.

Fortunately, I'm happy to say even though I do crave the drugs every other day... I rather go jog. Besides... I need the money for traveling to my racing destinations.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2013, 05:52 AM
    truth be told, i am regretting my rash decisions in my moment of sorrow. I joined the adventure racing club too, paid for my exams, paid for races.

Im so tired. All i do is work, get home, run, cycle, gym, study.
    I dont think a lot about my ex wife anymore. I did see her with her new boyfriend in a fancy expensive car. strangely i laughed and smiled. it gave me some peace.
    Even though some nights i still cry a little and miss her dearly.

But damn im tired. Going from a chill im married and comfortable life... to a damn im training and studying my arse off life is a huge adjustment.

Fortunately, im happy to say even though i do crave the drugs every other day... i rather go jog. Besides... i need the money for traveling to my racing destinations.
    "All i do is work, get home, run, cycle, gym, study." Okay now you're whining. Some people would call that a pretty gosh darn good life. Think about it. What if you didn't have a job. There would be no cycling, gym, studying, etc. Count your blessings man! There are a ton of people less fortunate than a lot of us.

"strangely i laughed and smiled. it gave me some peace." - Not a bad reaction at all. Unfortunately you cannot control what she does or how she feels. But you do control how you react to it and that wasn't a bad reaction at all.

You are moving your life forward which is cool. I don't have any experience with drug use but I would rather exercise than do most stuff. Good luck!

Jan 16, 2013, 03:41 AM
    Thanks.
    Yip... my one mate said the one day, its not my ex wife that disappoints me, its me disappointing myself for believing she would change. Things would change.

Actually I am very stoked, happy and grateful for what I have. Im also on a logical level very thankful for my ex wife's actions. If I look at there family, her mom cheated and got divorced. Now her mom is sleeping with her boss. The boss's wife is bed ridden, sick and busy dying. Some disease where you muscles stop working.

My ex wife justified her moms actions saying there's nothing wrong considering the wife of the boss can't move. Wife's sister left her 7 year relationship boyfriend because the other guy had more money.

Now my ex wife is also with a guy with more money. Their family to me... seems broken. As such, I'm grateful it happened now, and not 7 years - 20 years from now. :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2013, 05:35 AM
    thx.
    yip... my one mate said the one day, its not my ex wife that disappoints me, its me disappointing myself for believing she would change. Things would change.

Actually i am very stoked, happy and grateful for what i have. Im also on a logical level very thankful for my ex wife's actions. If i look at ther family, her mom cheated and got divorced. Now her mom is sleeping with her boss. The boss's wife is bed ridden, sick and busy dying. Some disease where you muscles stop working.

My ex wife justified her moms actions saying theres nothing wrong considering the wife of the boss can't move. Wife's sister left her 7 year relationship bf because the other guy had more money.

Now my ex wife is also with a guy with more money. Their family to me... seems broken. As such, im grateful it happened now, and not 7 years - 20 years from now. :)
    AAAANNNNNDDDDDDD - This time around be more choosey and don't have blinders on when it comes to picking a partner. Also, work on yourself a little bit before jumping back in. Make sure you are content and happy and that will allow your next partner to add to that and not be that. Congrats man - you will be fine.

Mar 5, 2013, 10:50 AM
    Hi again.
    Don't know where else to turn... but lately I'm not coping. I have fallen into a depression and I'm not getting out of it. It started about 2 weeks ago after my 1st 125km adventure race. I got really sick, and then it just happened.

Since then I have been crying every single night. My friends are busy, no time for me. I try to keep busy... go run and train but I'm sick again. I think the depression is lowering my immune system cause its not natural to get sick this often.

Not sure if I should ask for anti depressants but I can't do this. Its so painful. Suddenly I can't stop thinking about my ex wife. Im missing her so much... its eating me up. I don't have energy for my job, hobbies, training or anything.

I just get home and lie here on my bed 2 weeks straight now. Sleep on weekends. What can I do... how do I fix this. I can't stand feeling like this. Everything was starting to look OK, positive. But now... now its unbearable. Its gotten so bad I can't even socialize properly. I keep going to dark depressing topics... and understandably its annoying for others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Question about Spiral of Archimedes? [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me how we Sketch the Spiral of Archimedes r = a(theta), a>0 Please tell me with step by step.. Please explain me with all steps..

Length of a spiral [ 0 Answers ]

How do you calculate length of a spiral bar used as a link for circular columns

19 year old on downward spiral [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know if that is the correct question title... My daughter is 19. She graduated (barely) from high school last June. She moved to her dad's for the summer. While there, she met a 25 year old. She ended up working as a server at his mom's restaurant. She moved back home in September...

I'm falling into a doward spiral [ 2 Answers ]

My Dad neglected me when I was a small child. He never talked to me or even tried but then when my step-dad came into the picture he all of a sudden wanted to talk to me. But through out my life he has drifted away again without me doing anything to cause it. All my life I've been put last. My...

In A Spiral Of Confusion [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys my name is Andy, I'm 23 from England, and here is my story, basically I had been going out with this girl for two years, it went great but we split for a month in the first year because I talked to another girl online, and my head was all over the place, luckily I didn't see that girl and...

View more questions Search