Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tricky1549 Posts: 126, Reputation: 2

Dec 26, 2012, 02:50 PM
    Do commerative coins rise in value?
    Do commemorative coins rise in value? I hear them sold on TV and wonder if they're a bad/decent/good investment? Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2012, 03:04 PM
    Hello T:

In today's market, they're NOT collectible. The intrinsic value is substantially LESS than the selling price. If you want to buy a coin that can go up in value, visit your local coin dealer.

excon

Dec 26, 2012, 03:09 PM
    Investing in collectible coins?
    I will be getting a chunk of change soon, $50,000 as part of a retirement separation and I think would like to invest in coins? Has anyone have ideas on the future of coins?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 26, 2012, 03:23 PM
    Sure I have ideas about the future - there is no way to predict that's remotely reliable.

The most important question is how much risk can you afford to take? The second question is do you need an investment with no declared interest or dividends? If you can afford the risk and prefer no 1099s every year, go for it. But it could take a week to study the subject. I wouldn't do it unless you will enjoy studying coins and the coin markets.

My own personal feeling is that old American gold in the best possible condition that you can afford is the best investment. Although I actually like silver dollars a lot too, and was fortunate to buy a bunch at 17, and when I needed money 2 years later, they were at 33. I bought and sold on eBay. I had far fewer gold coins and sold some of them, but kept a few. One cameo first day issue was sort of a bust in terms of value staying stagnant. Also coin grading companies have had some shake ups that can affect the value of graded coins.
    current pert

Dec 26, 2012, 03:35 PM
    Some do. Not the ones you see on TV.
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
    Hello again, T:

Has anyone have ideas on the future of coins?
    Sure. I think they'll go UP. But, I don't have any special information.

If you want to invest in coins, I suggest you stick with bullion coins. Those are the ones sold strictly because of their precious metal content. Then there are numismatic coins. In addition to their metal value they have COLLECTOR value, just like baseball cards... Collecting is an entirely different investment than buying bullion.. Whether gold is going to go up or down is a LOT easier to predict than the collector coin market.

No matter what you buy, I suggest you buy from your LOCAL coin dealer.. The prices are better, you can maintain your PRIVACY, and you don't have to wait for delivery.

excon

Dec 27, 2012, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello T:

In today's market, they're NOT collectible. The intrinsic value is substantially LESS than the selling price. If you want to buy a coin that can go up in value, visit your local coin dealer.

excon
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    HerbertH Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2013, 04:55 AM
    Commemorative coins are minted just once and never again. Hence the numismatic values of these coins are very high. Commemorative coins are those that were minted to commemorate a particular event or issue. The value of commemorative coins depends upon the popularity, uniqueness, metals, and mass weight of the coin.
    current pert

Feb 21, 2013, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HerbertH View Post
    Commemorative coins are minted just once and never again. Hence the numismatic values of these coins are very high. Commemorative coins are those that were minted to commemorate a particular event or issue. The value of commemorative coins depends upon the popularity, uniqueness, metals, and mass weight of the coin.
    I've seem some rise in value and others tank.

I would definitely stay away from any coin that is not solid gold or silver, and nothing painted.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 05:29 AM
    Hello Joy:

I would definitely stay away from any coin that is not solid gold or silver, and nothing painted.
    **GREENIE**

Excon

PS> I was out of regular greenies..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian commerative coin 1966 [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 1966 canadian dollar coin. It has queen elizabeth on the front with dots around the edge It has a canoe with two men on the back I was curious if it held any value?

Is it a better buy to buy circulated coins or uncirculated coins? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to buy silver coins as a hedge against inflation. Is it important that the coins be uncirculated? Would it be a better buy to buy circulated coins? Thanks.

Help with Proof: A cents in B coins --> B dollars in A coins? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need to solve this proof put I cannot seem to figure it out. I'd really appreciate some help! If a dollar is 100 cents and coins come in 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 cents. Suppose that one can make A cents using exactly B coins. Prove that it is possible to make B dollars using exactly A...

What is the ratio of the rise to the run if the rise is 3/2 and run is 5 [ 1 Answers ]

What is the ratio of the rise to the run if the rise is 3/2 and run is 5

View more questions Search