Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cooldude044 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
    How to get money back from a person who sold coupons?
    I am a resident of California and I bought coupons from a person in New York.
    When he sold me those coupons , some of the coupons were not accepted by the store and the person promised me to refund the amount if I send them back.
    He sent me a prepaid shipping label and I sent back the coupons.
    Now after receiving the coupons he refuses to give the money back stating that coupons are original and not duplicate.
    How can I get my money back?
    I do have it in an email where he is ready to send me the refund but now he is opposing it.
    Kindly Help.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 26, 2012, 01:09 PM
    How much money are we talking about?

Dec 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
    About $60...
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 26, 2012, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldude044
    ... Now after receiving the coupons he refuses to give the money back stating that coupons are original and not duplicate.
    How can I get my money back?
    Why does he want duplicate coupons instead of the originals?

If you mean that he is refusing to pay because what you sent him are copies, send him the originals, duh.

Dec 26, 2012, 01:44 PM
    The coupons sent back to him are original coupons. I have not photocopied or sent him anything else, I have sent whatever he sent to me.

He is stating "If they are copy of original, I will refund you. However these are original coupons, not copy of original. I can't refund you ".

He is simply refusing to refund.
    Entomology Expert

Dec 26, 2012, 01:48 PM
    So he is saying that what he sent you was the original and that is what you paid for. When he asked you to send them back, he thought that maybe he had sent you copies and that is why the stores wouldn't take them?. But since they are originals, he isn't willing to do anything about it, right?

Dec 26, 2012, 01:51 PM
    Yes odinn7 what you stated is absolutely correct.
    "They are originals, he isn't willing to do anything about it".
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 26, 2012, 01:57 PM
    He didn't warranty that the store would accept them. So he has not breached the contract. You are out of luck.

Dec 26, 2012, 02:08 PM
    Here is my communication to him :
    I wrote :
    The reason I ask is that your XXXXXX coupons are not being accepted in AAAAAAA and BBBBBBB... they are saying that the XXXXXX coupons are not original.
    Will you accept these back... I have NN remaining .

He then wrote :
    2012-11-19
    "Yes, I can. Do you want to exchange to new XXXXXX coupons or just the refund? Let me know, I will email you prepaid shipping label. Thanks!"

Dec 26, 2012, 02:09 PM
    He also wrote
    2012-11-20
    "$60 I will refund you as soon as I receive NN coupons."
    Entomology Expert

Dec 26, 2012, 02:15 PM
    But you said they weren't accepted because they were not originals so he took them back under that assumption. They turned out to be real as far as you or he knows.

Unfortunately, I think you are going to lose out here and just learn an expensive lesson from this.

Dec 26, 2012, 05:17 PM
    The store mentioned that they are not originals as they coupons I was about to redeem had the same information on them. I was redeeming 2 coupons and they had the same serial number ,address etc etc...
    He did send me an email saying that " I gurrantee coupons work. If not work, I will email you return shipping label, and I will refund you unredeemed coupons"
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2012, 05:37 PM
    It is called being cheated, how much were the coupons,

Were some coupons used and worked correctly ? And with that many if not most coupons have the same "numbers" from news paper coupons, and most booklets that are sold do not have individual numbers for each coupon.

At the store, was this a high dollar item ? What type of store ?

In the end, you can try to sue them, but I doubt that you will ever get your money.

Dec 26, 2012, 05:42 PM
    Yes, it was a high dollar item, up to $50.
    It was a baby store...
    Some coupons worked and some did not...

When I tried to reedem the coupon, the store showed print out from the manufacturer stating that it is a counterfeit coupon with the image.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2012, 05:53 PM
    Ok, 50 dollar, ( not really high value but I am sure it is to you)
    high value would be a 2000 or perhaps more item like TV's or large dollar items

But it is still your money.

You can sue, do it in small claims court, he will not show up most likely, and you will win,
    But he will not pay, and there is little you can do except win the judgement.
    If this was a corporation you sue, most likely after 50 or so law suits, they go out of business and start up under new name, This is common.

But they should either refund the money or send the coupons back to you, since some where working. By not sending them back to you, you should win the law suit
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2012, 02:11 PM
    I question two things -jurisdiction (which will be an argument in itself, particularly in Small Claims Court) and whether the OP has clean hands. I've seen these offers (coupons for sale) on eBay, later pulled for violating eBay "standards."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help sold tires now buyer wants money back [ 3 Answers ]

I sold a set of tires to a guy on craigs list I sent him pics over email and on craigs list total of 6 and he said we could met so he could look at them I drove 2 hours to him and he looked at the tires I got these tires for someone else to sale and by looks they had 90% traed left and were in good...

I sold a car but now he wants his money back and wants to take this to court [ 14 Answers ]

So I sold my car for $9250 to this guy. The day before he drove it around the town for at least 20 minutes and I told him everything that's on the car, everything that's bad on the car as full of my knowledge. This morning he bought the car and took it home and 5 hours later he calls me saying that...

I Sold a Car 6 days ago and now the new owner wants their money back [ 9 Answers ]

I sold a 1992 Nissan Maxima for $800 on May 11, 2008. On May 12, I mailed in the post card saying that I'm no longer in possession of the vehicle. My boyfriend showed him the car and explained that we were asking $1200, but we knew that the muffler needed work and the oil needed changing and we...

Jewelry consignment--they sold it but haven't given me the money! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I placed two pieces of jewelry with a consignment jeweler in August. He sold the two pieces right before Christmas '05 and to this day he still hasn't given me the $5000.00 he owes me. He claims someone else gave him a bogus credit card (for a different sale) for which he has gotten a huge...

View more questions Search