Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pk4123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2012, 09:35 AM
    Small business, husband and wife
    What are the pros and cons to establishing a business as "Husband and Wife"?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 26, 2012, 10:30 AM
    Lets put it a different way. The purpose of establishing a corporate entity for your business (Inc, LLC, etc.) is to protect personal assets from business failure. So starting a business as husband and wife provides no such protection.

Dec 26, 2012, 11:42 AM
    I understand the reasoning for LLC VS Sole Proprietor, but I would like to know the tax obligation differences between Sole Proprietor VS Husband and wife. My kids are running a small business that do not require the hiring of any employees (at this point). From what I can read, with filing business as Husband and wife, FUTA taxes are not required. If one spouse works for the other, than FUTA taxes are required. Does this sound accurate?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 26, 2012, 12:10 PM
    This is true, if there are no employees, no FUTA. But there are multiple ways of doing that.. If they file their taxes jointly, then all they need is to complete a Schedule C.

Dec 26, 2012, 12:22 PM
    Thank You. I will need to seek an accountant to determine my best option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Determine the amount active business income eligible for the small business deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Problem You, a tax professional working at a local accounting firm, have just received a request from Terry, an assurance partner in the office, asking you to prepare a memorandum to one of his client tax files. He would like you to determine the amount of active business income eligible for the...

How to prepare a small business profile, or format of small business profile [ 3 Answers ]

Please help me to prepare a business profile letter Thanks Kevin

View more questions Search