Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pioji Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2012, 08:17 AM
    How bad is getting sent to collection?
    A few years ago, I signed a contract with a phone company, a line for me and one for someone else. I ended up moving from the country but the other person kept the phone w/ line but never paid the bills so when I noticed that I called and said it was lost so they would cut his line, I was like once you pay it ill activated again. Point of story, never paid it so now they send me to collection for it and this person doesn't want to pay it and I do not have the money. How much could it affect me? Since its collection but for a phone company not like a loan or anything big like that. Help Please!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2012, 10:40 AM
    It doesn't matter WHO the debt is with... one that you shafted the phone company is no different than if you shafted a bank.

It will keep you from getting a loan from most banks.. it will drive up your credit card iterest rates... it can even cause your car insurance to go up... because it shows you are an irresponsible consumer.

Your name was on the contract so they can come after you just like the other person... when you signed on the line you owned it. It will follow you for years because this is a legitimate debt...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bad debt with collection agency! [ 1 Answers ]

When someone has been paying a bad debt through a collection agency and is not able to do so anymore and needs to file bankruptcy on finances, doe the bad debt get included in bankruptcy? We are in Iowa. Also, does a small claims ruling for debts paid by former wife get included in bankruptcy.

Received the collection letters from collection company after discharged from bankrup [ 2 Answers ]

I had discharged all my debs after my bankruptcy judgment. I received a collection letter and phone calls from a collection agency what should I do now ?

Is it my fault that the collection company bought a bad debt? [ 17 Answers ]

I live in Arkansas, I have a credit card that I can not pay back right now. My credit card company sold it to another collection company that now has severed me with court papers from here in Arkansas. My question is I never signed an agreement with this collection agency to pay them back. Is it my...

Collection agencies means of finding those with bad debts [ 2 Answers ]

An acquaintance works for a collection agency. She told me, collection agencies and private detectives can find anyone. I found this statement rather bold. If her statement is correct, please tell me how they do it. Do collection agencies resort to illegal tactics?

Collection of a bad check [ 1 Answers ]

A businessman who resides in Virginia wrote wrote a $500 that was deposited into my account as a portion of monies that he owed to me. The check was returned for nonsufficient funds. I am almost certain that he was aware of that fact before he made that deposit. What recourse do I have for...

View more questions Search