Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chelle belle Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Dec 25, 2012, 09:20 PM
    Theft by deception
    My so called friend took me shopping cause I couldn't afford it for Christmas and things I needed we went shopping and got what I needed as well as he did shopping he wrote checks used his cards I didn't use anything he then turned around and said I deceived him we also have a notorized letter stating I owe him it was a loan and I'm to pay him back he called the police said I deceived him they kicked my door in with a search warrant took all the items he bought for me plus all my belongings that he didn't buy he lied I never deceived him can I be charged
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2012, 09:29 PM
    Sorry if I don't believe it.

Police do not kick a door in on a theft warrant, they would just knock on the door. And wait for you to open it.

Next they would have a list of the stolen items or possible stolen items and only take those.
    But what notarized letter, did you sign something ?

If so then just show this to the DA and they will have to drop the case since it is civil.issue

Lots of things missing, this story as written can not happen

Dec 25, 2012, 09:29 PM
    I can't believe they kicked my door in for this and we've been friends 4 years he said in the beginning his girlfriend can't find out wow now they came in took my personal belongings that have nothing to do with what he helped me with the notorized letter made it civil I thought I feel like I was violated they said they took all the stuff to investigate do you think I'll be charged

Dec 25, 2012, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    sorry if I don't believe it.

Police do not kick a door in on a theft warrant, they would just knock on the door. and wait for you to open it.

Next they would have a list of the stolen items or possible stolen items and only take those.

If so then just show this to the DA and they will have to drop the case since it is civil.issue

I'm sorry but it did OK no reason to lie that's why I feel I was violated they had a list of what he bought for me took that plus my stuff they were in my house 12 hours
    Expert

Dec 25, 2012, 09:32 PM
    If they had kicked your door in, there had to be a warrant, and you would have been arrested on the stop. Are you sure it was real polcie, since police don't kick doors in for this either.

Sorry a officer for 20 plus years, this is just not how it is done in the US anyway
    Expert

Dec 25, 2012, 09:33 PM
    You must be a known criminal of some type or drug dealer or something, sorry, police in a home for 12 hours, they don't stay in a home of a murder or major theft for 12 hours.

On a theft like this, maybe 2 hours tops, the more you tell your story, the less it sounds like real police, Unless of course they were trying to prove something else on you

Dec 25, 2012, 09:34 PM
    The notorized letter was for the amount of all the stuff he bought me but he made it seem like I deceived him he's a liar now I lost a lot of my belongings he bought me a couple gift cards maybe they thought I purchased those items with the gift card but I didn't that was my stuff I've had

Dec 25, 2012, 09:38 PM
    Exactly my lawyer told me this was unconstitutional and the police don't like me not a drug dealer have had problems in my younger years but I'm 37 now I'm telling you they had a search warrant stating they were coming in for the items my friend purchased they had the stores listed and that they could take them once they came in they went and got another search warrant for my stuff for what reason I don't know

Dec 25, 2012, 09:40 PM
    I've never seen anything like this in my life they said they took the stuff as evidence and they are investigating a crime theft by deception

Dec 25, 2012, 09:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    sorry if I don't believe it.

Police do not kick a door in on a theft warrant, they would just knock on the door. and wait for you to open it.

What do you suggest cause what I told you really happened and I want my belongings back I've been crying for a week over this my lawyer said he will deal with it but I want my stuff back

Dec 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
    Someone day something chuck?!

Dec 25, 2012, 09:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelle belle View Post
    Someone day something chuck ?!!!
    I meant say sorry this is messed up I feel totally violated and in the meantime they have all my stuff
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 26, 2012, 06:59 AM
    WHERE is all this happening? WHAT crimes when younger?
    I have to agree that this makes no sense in the USA.

You hired a lawyer (presumably you paid something for that?) so what stage is this at?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 26, 2012, 09:30 AM
    This story is so full of it as to be virtually incoherent.

But what is OP trying to say about a "notarized letter"? If in fact she did sign such a letter to the effect that it was a loan and not a gift, she isn't going to be able to say, later in court, that he gave all of the stuff to her.

If the police obtained a search warrant based upon his story, the stuff described in the "notarized letter" would probably indeed be evidence. And the other stuff may very well be evidence of other such crimes.

Dec 26, 2012, 10:21 AM
    I hired a lawyer because I felt violated it may sound unreal but it happened OK no reason to lie what evidence there was a notorized letter doesn't that make it civil that's what I was always told smh

Dec 26, 2012, 10:22 AM
    This is happening in Illinois Oswego to be exact where the police have nothing better to do apparemtlu

Dec 26, 2012, 10:24 AM
    Ok so of later I can't say he gave me the stuff fine I had every intention on paying him back he took me shopping and literally called the police 3 days later I'm overwhelmed
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
    This is going nowhere. You seem incapable or unwilling to give many facts about why the police don't like you, the due date of the loan as stated on the promissory note, why the girlfriend couldn't find out (sounds like maybe she did), what else you have in your house that would have the police taking it all away (brand new items still in boxes perhaps, and they think you run scams?), and the total dollar value (over the grand larceny amount, perhaps)?
    I can't tell if you are deliberately acting obtuse or not.

Dec 26, 2012, 01:16 PM
    Yes there was a lot of stuff with tags on it some not I've had a lot of these items for a while never took the tags of grand larceny wth for having nice things

Dec 26, 2012, 01:52 PM
    What is the definition of grand larceny and there is no way I didn't steal any of that it was all purchased ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is this theft by deception? [ 4 Answers ]

I was at an auction and purchased many old pepsi crates for $6 each. Before leaving I asked the clerk if I could purchase one last coca-cola crate with bottles in it and pointed at the crate. She asked how much I had paid for the other crates and I told her $6, so she said okay. When I got home she...

Is this theft by deception? [ 4 Answers ]

My sister had me to put money from our mom's death in her bank account and she gambled it away this was in 2007 we live in Louisville Ky.

Theft by deception [ 4 Answers ]

I had a business,I had several ontracts and deposits,but do to several reasons I was unable to do the work.now two years have passed and I got a call from a detective tha he was about to file criminal charges,is he able to still file charges sine its been two years/

16 year old charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery what will [ 2 Answers ]

I was charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery for finding a debit card and buying 3 items in Bridgewater Commons Mall New Jersey that I believe came up to $300 I used credit and had to sigh the receipt I didn't use my name but the name on the card. I was brought to the police...

View more questions Search