Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GeorgeBorge Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2012, 06:23 PM
    If Asian in America are a minority, How come I always see Asians everywhere?
    I've heard that Asians in america are like 1% or something less.
    Yet everywhere I go, there's Asians. If they were a minority I would only see 1 asian person per month or something.

I live in California but Asians don't all live in California, they prefer New york or other places. So, if they were a minority, it would mean they spread themselves thourought the USA and the chance of seeing a person from a very spread minority, would be very low.

And by the way I'm talking about Asian Americans or Asians who actually live here. I'm not talking about foreign students.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 25, 2012, 07:07 PM
    The 2010 US Census reported 3.6% Asian and about 800,000 more people of mixed race Caucasian/Asian, and others that might appear to others as Asian, such as Pacific Islanders and Hawaiians. I disagree that Asians don't live in CA. SF and LA have large China Towns, Korea Towns, and Japan Towns, and that's just the clustered areas. Plenty of Asians live in all sorts of urban, suburban and rural areas of CA, from my experience. Many are above the norm in education and have good jobs, and a tradition of making sure their children go to good schools.
    One a month because you thought 1%? Think about it: you'd see 1 every 100 people, and I'm sure you see more than that in a month. I'd guess that CA has a higher % than say North Dakota or Missouri or Utah, and I would guess that the CA % is higher than 3.6%. Just my guess.
    GeorgeBorge Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2012, 07:17 PM
    Thanks a lot for your answer. Ididnt' know that
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2012, 07:23 PM
    And of course a minority does not mean that there are not a lot.
    E
    Blacks are a minority, Spanish is a minority, it only means their race is not the largest in the nation, it does not mean there are not a lot of them
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 25, 2012, 07:23 PM
    There are Asian immigrants plus first- and second-generation Asians and mixed-race Asians in Chicago and the suburbs -- Indians, Filipinos, Pakistanis, Thais, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Laotians, and more. What is fun is that there are also many authentic restaurants that reflect those cultures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being a minority? [ 65 Answers ]

Well at the risk of sounding racist, here I go. I am currently employed in a temporary supposed to be leading to permanent position at a wonderful vet office on the reserve. I am white. My boss just informed me that they would like to have an aboriginal at the front desk. As soon as they find an...

Asians in Abrahamic religions [ 8 Answers ]

According to the Holly Bible and probably Torah and Quran, Noah had three sons: 1) Japhet - he is the anscestor of European nations 2) Sim - the forefather os Simites 3) Ham - his descendants are Africans There was nobody else except them and their wives. However, there's no word about...

Asians finding work in Europe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Richard single and on my mid 20's, I'm presently looking for a job in the European region. I have an engineering diploma and various experience in engineering(semiconductor sector). I would like to ask my chances if I pursue this plan. And if it's not feasible at this time - what are the...

View more questions Search