Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhrl99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2012, 01:12 PM
    Being sued for damages from animal collision
    Is there a time limit in British Columbia for a settlement conference to be scheduled on a small claim?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 23, 2012, 01:19 PM
    Kind of difficult to answer your question when you don't give much background information. What do you mean, animal collision ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2012, 05:11 AM
    Was the case filed already and in time, merely a delay in the settlement conference?
    bhrl99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2012, 04:51 PM
    Some of horses (4) were inadvertently released by other people picking up their horses from our pasture. I knew they were there but had no idea they would be dumb enough to leave a gate open.
    In any case the horses were hit by a transport truck as they crossed the highway
    And three were killed and the truck was heavily damaged to the tune of $28,000.00.
    So the trucking companies insurance company is suing us for the damage to the truck because they say we are responsible because the horses belonged to us.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 24, 2012, 04:59 PM
    What about your insurance? Do you have proof that these other people left your gate open? If so, then sue them.

What is the current progress and standing of the court case.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 25, 2012, 07:19 AM
    Check the court rules in BC to find out whether settlement conferences are automatically settled. It could be that you have to ask for one.

It doesn't appear that there is a time limit:

"Rule 9-2 — Settlement Conferences
    Settlement conference

(1) If, at any stage of an action, the parties of record jointly request a settlement conference by filing a requisition in Form 17 or a judge or master directs that the parties attend a settlement conference, the parties must attend before a judge or master who must, in private and without hearing witnesses, explore all possibilities of settlement of the issues that are outstanding.
    ..."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Can an animal rescue centre claim to own an animal after you purchase it? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question about the rights of ownership over a cat.

Restaurant being sued for damages [ 3 Answers ]

Goodmorning guys. Received a letter over an issue that happened after hours at my pub. An individual was in my pub hanging out due to intoxication from another establishment. My employees who were off the clock let him stay while the bartender who was on the clock closed out for the night. The...

Have car insurance / NOT at fault / being personally sued for damages [ 13 Answers ]

I was recently in a car accident. I have full collision and comprehensive coverage through a national car insurance company. My insurance determined I was NOT at fault for the accident. One of the other cars involved in the accident was a rental car. The rental car agency (a local business, not a...

View more questions Search