Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onegame Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2012, 04:54 AM
    English Literature
    Could the term "English literature" refer to ANY literature written in the English language, whether it be American or Australian, or is it specific for the literature of England?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 23, 2012, 07:34 AM
    English Literature is normally used to refer to the Classics of the English language, so Shakespear etc..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 23, 2012, 12:21 PM
    When I earned my bachelor's degree, my minor was in American and English Literature. I know there is French literature and Italian literature and Spanish literature and Greek literature -- classics unique to a country and written by authors from that country. Thus American lit comprises classics (novels, plays, poems) written by Americans such as Dos Passos and Steinbeck and Poe and Twain and Cooper and Irving and Buck and O'Neill and inson and Whitman and on and on for pages. English literature is made up in the same way of classics--by Shakespeare (the prime one!) and Austen and the Bronte sisters and Chaucer and Byron and Wordsworth and Shelley and Thackeray and D!ckens (of course!) and Stoker and on and on for many pages. A purist would separate classics by country and even region.

On the other hand, Wikipedia (like Curlyben) looks at your question more broadly and says this:

English literature is the literature written in the English language, including literature composed in English by writers not necessarily from England; for example, Robert Burns was Scottish, James Joyce was Irish, Joseph Conrad was Polish, Dylan Thomas was Welsh, Thomas Pynchon is American, V.S. Naipaul was born in Trinidad, and Vladimir Nabokov was Russian, but all are considered important writers in the history of English literature. In other words, English literature is as diverse as the varieties and dialects of English spoken around the world in countries originally colonized by the British. In academia, the term often labels departments and programs practicing English studies in secondary and tertiary educational systems. Despite the variety of authors of English literature, the works of William Shakespeare remain paramount throughout the English-speaking world. English literature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am MA student in English Literature and I am seeking for a good title for a thesis" [ 0 Answers ]

I am MA student in English Literature and I am seeking for a good title for a thesis".

I am MA student in English Literature and I am seeking for a good title for a thesis [ 0 Answers ]

I am MA student in English Literature and I am seeking for a good title for a thesis in modern English or American Drama. Thanks

I am stuck with my thesis work... My area of study is English Literature [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Buddies... I am doing my Ph.D in English Literature. My topic is related to feminism. I have got married a year before and unable to concentrate on my studies. Its not that I don't have time... infact, I have lot of free time with me and still I am not using it productively. As so as I try to do...

University to study english literature abroad [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want the names of some of the best Australian, us universities to study english literature

View more questions Search