Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessicaspeakman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2012, 07:05 PM
    10 month old chihuahua is pregnant
    My 10 month old dog us pregnant didn't want her to be ever and have appointment for my male to be fixed but it already happened before a could get him done. I kept them separated I'm the house but one morning while outside on my porch the male got to her when I ran in for minute.I don't have the money to get her spayed rght now my ? Is will she be OK I love my dog very much and it will kill me if something happens to her I just can't do anything about it money wise rght now I am a single mom of 2 and have only enough money to get by.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2012, 04:06 PM
    I must be misunderstanding something. You didn't want HER to be pregnant ever... so you were getting HIM fixed/neutered?
    That doesn't rule out the possibility of another male mating with her.

What is your question? Could something "happen" to her? Yes, it could. She's young and pregnant and needs Veterinary care.
    There is no way to know if she'll be "okay."

When did you plan to get either one (or preferably both) of them neutered/spayed?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 21, 2012, 04:17 PM
    There's no way to determine if she'll be okay. Many dogs, especially smaller breeds, need a c-section when giving birth. A c-section isn't cheap. She could die giving birth, that's a risk for any dog when pregnant, but especially a smaller breed. What is the breed of the male that she mated with? That will also determine the risk factor.

Bottom line, you better save up, because this delivery could end up costing you thousands of dollars in vet care. A spay is a lot cheaper than a pregnancy.

How far along is she? If she's not too far along you could do a spay/abort. That would really be the best thing for her.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 21, 2012, 04:31 PM
    My vet wanted $400 for spay so I went to a spay clinic non profit, far away but only $60. Try to get both dogs cared for at once.

(My cat was pregnant when she was spayed, sigh. I missed the first appointment in a heavy snowstorm and she got out and found a male in deep deep snow in the middle of nowhere.)

Dec 21, 2012, 07:09 PM
    She mated with my other chihuahua who is also 10 months old. Have an appointment to get the male fixed the first week of January my very didn't have anything sooner so will also be talking to him about my options for her never plan on mating her and when she went into heat we have been keeping them separated but it happened so quick.thank you for your replys and will do whatever the vet thinks is best my dogs are part of my family and I love them as much as I love my kids so just want her safe and will scrape up every penny I can if that's what I need to do to make sure she is OK.also she is around 5 Weeks pregnant.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
    Some advise for next time.

A female in heat should NEVER be left alone outside with an intact male.

The male dog will rape the female if he is aggressive enough. Typically, the female is only accepting of the male in at a certain time in her heat cycle.. and obviously she was when you put her with your male.

Next time you have a female in heat, or come across someone in a similar situation.. KEEP THEM APART AT ALL TIMES!

I would suggest an emergency spay. 10 month old puppies don't need to have puppies. It is bad for their health, bone development and so on. Not to mention that young dogs are horrible mothers.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2012, 03:07 PM
    Yes, because you love her as much as you love your children I would scrape those pennies together and get her in for an emergency spay. No need to put her through a pregnancy at her age. She is very obviously not "just a dog" to you, and that very often is the case. Good that she has a loving home and people who will go the distance for her.

If the plan was - and it appears to be - to neuter him at the same time now would be the ideal time to do so.

Dec 23, 2012, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Yes, because you love her as much as you love your children I would scrape those pennies together and get her in for an emergency spay. No need to put her through a pregnancy at her age. She is very obviously not "just a dog" to you, and that very often is the case. Good that she has a loving home and people who will go the distance for her.

If the plan was - and it appears to be - to neuter him at the same time now would be the ideal time to do so.
    Thank u so much and yes will be getting both of them fixed at same time now
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2012, 08:08 AM
    Excellent - have a good holiday.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 8 month chihuahua mated with my 10 month old chihuahua could she get pregnant? [ 5 Answers ]

She was on day 13 of her heat and they tied for 15-20 minutes. He is 10 months old and she is 8 months old. This was 3 weeks ago now and her nipples have been swollen at the base for almost 2 weeks now. Her tummy doesn't feel much different. Can a 10 month old dog produce quality sperm to...

7 month old chihuahua [ 2 Answers ]

Can a 7 month old chihuahua get pregnant? Her dad got her

8 month old Chihuahua pregnant how do I stop this? [ 8 Answers ]

I need help my 8 month old chihuahua just finished being in heat. No more bleeding but her area is still swollen, so we keep her "diaper" on her still just in case she starts bleeding but mainly to make her safe. Today another chihuahua male desided it was time for her not to be a virgin anymore....

Sick 3 month old chihuahua [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old Chihuahua barely 2 pounds. He is up to date on his shots and dewormings. However Last Tuesday he had his latest shot and on Thurday had a deworming treatment and has not been right since. He started Vomiting on Friday. Stopped on Saturday and was eating and drinking and acting...

Spaying a 9 month old chihuahua? [ 7 Answers ]

We have a 2 1/2 pound chihuahua that was born on October 19th, 2007. She is about 9 months old. We didn't know if spaying her would be a good thing since she is so small. We think she is in heat for the first time. Her genitals are swollen and she is licking a lot. Is 9months normal age for a...

View more questions Search