Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gem216 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2012, 06:36 PM
    Did I violate hipaa
    My husband and I work at the same hospital. He comes to the department that I work in for treatment although I am not directly a part of his care. I frequently check his electronic medical record for results as well as go to all of his apts. With him. I have his permission to do so but this is not in writing. Am I violating hipaa law?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2012, 07:07 PM
    Technically if you don't have a release form in writing.. then yes you are. Just get the forms signed... and save future problems. Me and my wife both have full access to the others stuff for obvious reasons.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 07:11 PM
    Yes, this is a direct violation without a signed release on file.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
    Yep. If he did not given written permission you are in violation but so is your hospital for allowing this to happen
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 09:11 PM
    Just an FYI it is also a violation to use your facilities electronic records to look up even your own information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I violate HIPAA [ 4 Answers ]

I work at Women's Health Office and My best friend's 15 year old daughter came in and got a abortion, she didn't need her parents consent. Under HIPAA privacy rule, I cna't tell her mother. I want her mother to know. What should I do? Do I confront the daughter? I know keeping this to myself is...

Did I violate HIPAA? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, last day of my employment was on a Friday. I was unable to get all of my field notes in on time to my employer so I asked if I could keep my field notes and laptop for the weekend and return them in the following week. When I arrived to work the following week to drop off company laptop, my...

Did I violate Hipaa? [ 11 Answers ]

I worked for two agencies caring for people with developmental disabilities. One of our clients that was cared for at job #1 left our agency and was being cared for by a different provider who I also worked for. He had an incident where he fell and he also choked on some food and staff did the...

Did I violate this patients HIPAA rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I am the Supervisor of a POL. One of the employees of the X-Ray department asked me for a copy of her Mother's lab results. I refused, citing HIPAA regulations. The employee became very disruptive but I still refused to comply with her request. Because our facility has no clear protocol for...

Did I violate HIPAA Law? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a medical student and was in my last week of school when I had to finish this project. I was suppose to see how this patient was doing. He was still a patient at the hospital but out patient, and instead of going to his house I looked up what operation he had and how his physical theropy...

View more questions Search