Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barrygold Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
    Help to calculate torque needed
    Hi, I am new to this!

I am struggling to answer the following:

What size ( torque etc. ) 6 volt dc. Planetary gear motor would I need to lift
    A 3kg. Load vertically.
    I plan to couple the gear motor directly to a 12mm dia. Steel acme lead screw
    With a 3mm pitch.
    The load I will attach to a brass lead screw nut.
    A stainless steel guide will stop the nut rotating and so give it vertical travel.

Any better guesses out there than mine ?

Thanks all.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 09:53 AM
    It all depends on how quickly you want to be able to raise the load, ir stated another way - the speed of the motor and the gear arrangement. The power required equals the load (weight of the object you're lifting in newtons) times the velocity with which you want to raise it in meters/second. So if you're willing to use a gear set to convert the high speed RPM of the motor to a low speed RPM lifting gear, in theory you could get away with a very small motor. But using the mechasim that you describe with a simple 6mm radius gear you have:

Torque = 3Kg x 9.8 m/s^2 x 0.006m = 0.176 N-m
    Power = Torque x radial velocity = Torque x RPM x (2 pi/60) = 0.018 x RPM watts

Form this if you know the RPM of the motor you can calculate power it must produce in watts.

Dec 20, 2012, 03:56 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks for your kind reply.
    That has moved me a long way on.
    I need to lift the 3 KG.load 150 MM. In 10 seconds
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 20, 2012, 06:57 AM
    Power required = F x V = 3 Kg x 9.8m/s^2 x 0.015m/s = 0.44 watts. You should round up a bit for a safety factor to account for friction etc.

This does not take into the energy required to accelerate the load from 0m/s to 0.015 m/s, but assuming the acceleration is small (much less than 1 g) it's not significant.

Dec 21, 2012, 08:03 AM
    That helps hugely.

I will now surf the net for a gear motor with these characteristics and small enough to fit into my contraption.

Many thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I need to know to calculate torque through a gearbox? [ 0 Answers ]

My gearbox is driven at 3000rpm from a .37kW electric motor. I require approximately 3 rpm at the output shaft. So a ratio of 1000:1. However what do I need to know to calculate the maximum output torque? Cheers Colin

How to calculate torque? [ 6 Answers ]

I want to rotate a 500 kg mass supported by a hollow shaft at 10 rps, what is the required amount of torque?

Calculate the torque of/ forces on a box? [ 8 Answers ]

2 men are carrying a 200 kg box; one at each end. They are on stairs which are at a 45 degree angle with the ground. The box they are carrying is also at a 45 degree angle, so the stairs and ground are parallel. The lengths of the box are 1.23 m and .5 m, and both men exert a vertical force on the...

How to calculate torque for shaft? [ 0 Answers ]

How to calculate torque or formula? For Mixer / Agitator. Type of tank Rectangular & Cylindrical. Rectangular Tank Dimension : L x B x H : 4 mtrs x 2 mtrs x 2mtrs - Water level 1.65 meters, shaft length : 2.2 meters. RPM Required : 30. Motor : 3PH, RPM : 1440 Cylindrical Tank Dimension : Dia x...

How to calculate the required torque to rotate the shaft? [ 2 Answers ]

HI to all I need the formula to calculate the required torque to rotate the shaft.

View more questions Search